Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Blue Plaques & other Memorials - part 2
See also Commemorations
Dates of the Plaques, where they are, and what they Commemorate
Part 1 - Nos. 1-15

16
2009
103 Newton Road Mrs Muxlow O.B.E.
17
2010
Alfred Street School Children killed - Bomb 1940
18
2010
Salvation Army - wall Hall in Queen Street 1888-1947
19
2012
15 Essex Road H E Bates lived here 1914 - 1931
20
2012
West Street Jack Harrison - boxer
21
2011
High Street Railway Inn
22
2013
Skinners Hill Temperance Memorial
23
2014
High Street South Ginns Blacksmiths
24
2015
Roberts Street 1940 Bomb
25
2016
Bernard Vann Close Bernard Vann V.C.
26
2016
Rushden Hall Clive Wood
27
2018
26 Queen Street Walter Tull
28
2018
War Memorial Garden Bernard Vann - stone plaque

16 On 21st March 2009, Rushden & District History Society put up a plaque to commemorate the work of Alice Unwin Muxlow and it was unveiled by Mayor Barbara Jenney.

The plaque is on the house where she had lived, 103 Newton Road, when she moved to Rushden with her husband who was the manager of the Midland Bank.

Alice worked tirelessly throughout the war leading a team of Women's Voluntary Service workers who looked after many aspects of social work and welfare. They also made the arrangements for the evacuees who arrived here during WWII. Alice was also the first lady chairman of the Council in 1946.

Mrs Muxlow's grandson, Tom attended the celebration, who, having only just returned to England from Poland, had just a few days' notice of the event.

The picture shows Dr & Mrs Hadden, Barbara Jenney, Margaret Shelton (RDHS Chairman) and Tom Muxlow.

Plaque on 103 Newton Road
17 This plaque was unveiled on October 3rd 2010 in memory of the 70th anniversary of the bomb that fell on Alfred School and of the seven children who were killed. Many pupils who had been in school that day attended the unveiling, and following the memorial service, some photographs were taken of them. Plaque to the pupils who died
18
Local historian Eric Fowell gave a slide show of “Views of Old Rushden”, and also sold commemorative pillowlace bobbins, to raise funds to enable the Amenities Society to put up a blue plaque to commemorate the first Salvation Army Hall or “barracks.” The hall (extreme left below) was built in 1888 on the corner of Queen Street and Rectory Road, (just five years after the Army was established in Rushden).

In 1947 it was to be demolished all except one wall, for the widening of Rectory Road. The piece of land remining after the road work was made into a garden.

A blue plaque was affixed to the wall that remained in October 2010.

Queen Street in the 1920s Salvation Army plaque
The Salvationists moved to the old Congregational Church in Church Street in 1947.
19
Another Amenities Society plaque was unveiled on 16th May 2012, on 15 Essex Road, to show that H E Bates lived there from 1914 until his marriage in 1931. H E and Madge made their home at Little Chart, Kent. [see also 5 in Blue Plaques part 1]
20
John Harrison was born at Bozeat on 15th October 1888, son of Arthur and Martha, living in High Street.

In 1907 Jack joined the Army, and when he left in 1910 he came to Rushden to live with his parents at 12 West Street.

He won the Lonsdale belt in 1912. Joining up again to serve in WWI, he continued to box in the army. After the war he had a successful boxing career, before returning to work for Rushden Urban Council.

Always known as Jack, he died in 1970 aged 82.

This Blue Plaque to commemorate Jack's boxing career was unveiled on October 27th 2012.

Plaque for Jack Harrison
21
Frontage
Railway Inn in High Street - frontage & plaque
Plaque
This plaque was affixed to the Railway Inn, by
J D Wetherspoon to commemorate the inn's history, and their 2011 refurbishment.
22

A memorial with a drinking fountain was installed in 1889 at the foot of the Green, to commemorate those who founded the Temperance Society.

The stone work of the War Memorial was cleaned in 2013, and the Temperance Memorial was also cleaned and the brickwork was then repointed. The drinking fountain had been removed about fifty years earlier.

In October 2013 the Amenities Society installed a blue plaque over the original lettering, which was heavily worn, repeating the inscription.

The blue plaque
23
On May 10th 2014 family members of the Ginns and the Guinee families came to Rushden to unveil a plaque to Ginns' blacksmiths. Although somewhat blustery, the rain held off for the ceremony. Chairman of Rushden & District History Society, Theresa Clark, read a short history before the unveiling, and after taking photos, the party adjourned to the Salvation Army Community room for tea and cake.



unveiling
Family members unveil the plaque
the plaque
members and family assemble
24
This plaque was unveiled by Derek Elmer, grandson of the first named on the plaque, on the 75th anniversary of the bomb that devastated the mid part of Roberts Street.


unveiling
Derek Elmer unveils the plaque
2015 plaque
25
A ceremony for the unveiling this road sign was organised by the Royal British Legion, Rushden Branch, and took place on 3rd March 2016, to commemorate Bernard Vann V.C. who died 100 years ago. sign
26
On Saturday 21st May 2016, a plaque depicting the history of Rushden Hall, was erected by Rushden & District History Society to celebrate its 25th Anniversary. Society member Clive Wood unveiled the plaque in front of Rushden Hall. The plaque
27 On Sunday 25th March 2018 was unveiled to commemorate the centenary of the death of Walter Tull, who was lodging in Rushden before he joined up. This plaque was also erected by Rushden & District History Society.
28

Bernard Vann Day - Saturday 29th September 2018

This stone was erected in the Memorial Garden to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his death.

stone

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us