Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Court Reports 1910 - 1919

This is not a comprehensive list, merely reports
found whilst trawling the papers for other items.

Rushden Echo, 4th February 1910, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough County Court
On Monday before His Honour Sir Thomas Snagge.

Rushden Firm Sued

An action was brought against the Central Machinery Co., engineers, of Back-way, Rushden, formerly of Irthlingborough, by Bertie Wm Piggott (a minor), Knox-road, Wellingborough, engineer’s assistant, who sued by his father and next friend, Charles Piggott.

It was stated that in June last Piggott, jun., was at Mr John Shortland’s Express boot factory, Irthlingborough, assisting in putting a belt on a pulley wheel on a shaft, when the clutch seized and the pulley revolved, and Piggott was caught between the belt and the wheel and carried with the same until pulled out by another workman, with the result that his right forearm was dislocated and fractured. He was totally incapacitated from that date. His average earnings during the twelve months prior to the accident were 10s. per week, and the average amount which he was now earning was 4s. or 5s. at the most. The sum of £9 1s., being 10s. per week from the date of the accident to October 23rd, and the amount claimed was 5s. per week. The workman voluntarily left the Machinery Company’s employ.

Mr Coales who appeared for Piggott said the company had agreed to pay 4s. a week.

His Honour endorsed the arrangement.

Rushden Echo, 26th August 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

RUSHDEN POLICE COURT – Tuesday, before Mr F Knight – John Frowbridge, clerk, for hawking without a certificate on Monday, was sent to prison for seven days.

Rushden Echo, 9th September 1910, transcribed by Peter Brown

Grave Charges Before The Bench - Dealt With in Camera - Serious Allegations
Against Rushden, Higham Ferrers and Irthlingborough Residents

On Monday morning at Wellingborough before Ald Woolston and Mr A Bailey, Annie Barwell (36), married woman, Park Lane, Irthlingborough, Annie Sharp (18), single woman, shoe operative, Harborough Road, Rushden, Amos Bailey, shoe operative, Irthlingborough, and Albert Houghton, shoe operative, Refuge Row, Higham Ferrers, were brought up on remand on a serious charge.

Mrs Barwell, of Irthlingborough, was charged that on August 13th she, with intent to procure a miscarriage, used a certain instrument on Annie Sharp.

Sharp was also charged as a principal in connection with the alleged offence, and bailey and Houghton were charged with aiding and abetting.

Finedon Case

At the same Court James Henry Baines, who was for several months working as a Church Army Officer at Finedon, was charged with a grave offence with a youth.

The charges aroused a lot of interest in the locality, and a large crowd assembled outside the Court. Barwell, Sharp and Baines, who had during the remand been in Northampton prison, were taken early to the police station, and Bailey and Houghton surrendered to their bail.

Mr W W James (Messrs Heygate and James) prosecuted in both cases for the police. Mr A J Darnell appeared for Mrs Barwell, and Mr J C Parker for Houghton and bailey.

The cases were heard in private, both the public and the representatives of the Press being excluded.


The case against the four prisoners was taken first, and the hearing lasted until 1.30, when all four were committed for trial. Bail was offered, Mrs Barwell in £100, and two sureties of £50 each; and the other prisoners £10, and two sureties of £5 each.

The Court then adjourned for luncheon.

In the afternoon the case against Baines was heard, and he was committed to the Assizes, bail being refused.

Rushden Echo, 9th August 1912

Charge of Stealing Lead—At Wellingborough Police Court on Wednesday, before Mr. G. Lawrence, John Willis, rag and bone dealer, 5 Bedford-road, Rushden, was charged with stealing and receiving 30lb. of lead, value 5s.6d., the property of the Rector and church-wardens of Rushden, between June 4th and July 19. He was remanded in custody until today (Friday)

Rushden Echo May 1st 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court – This Day (Friday)
Before Messrs Woolston, Whitworth, E Parsons, Allebone, F Knight, J S Clipson, T Patenall, R P Payne and C A Hazeldine.

Luke Bates and Wm Ekins, tramps, were charged with stealing 2lbs. of paint, the property of Chas E Dilley, at Rushden. Each was sentenced to one month’s hard labour.

Rushden Echo May 8th 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court (This Day (Friday)
Before Messrs Woolston, A H Sartoris, Whitworth, F Knight and E Parsons.

David Odell, Rushden, for being drunk and disorderly at Rushden on May 2, was fined 10/0 inclusive.

Leonard Cockings, Rushden, for using obscene language on May 2, was fined 12/0 inclusive.

Wallace Reg Cockings, Rushden, pleaded guilty to assaulting P.S. Brumby on May 2 and was fined 10/- and cost 6/-.

Rushden Echo May 22nd 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court
This day (Friday) Before Messrs. A. H. Sartoris, E. Parsons, T. Patenall, J. Claridge, J. B. Whitworth and E. M. Nunneley.

George Myers, Wm. Burdett, Herbert Peach, Thos. Westley and Ralph Underwood, Rushden, were summoned for playing football in the street. Myers and Burdett were fined 2/6 and all were ordered to pay 1/- each towards the costs.

Ellen Odell and David Odell, Rushden, were summoned for assaulting Elizabeth Page.—Ordered to pay 10/6 costs between them and bound over in £2 for 12 months.

For playing football in the street William Hales, Arthur Boxall, Albert Knight and Chas. Patterson, Higham Ferrers, were ordered to pay 5/0 costs between them.

Rushden Echo, 12th June 1914, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Police Court

Tuesday, before Mr. F. Knight and Mr. J. S. Clipson.

Horrible Language

William Chapman, tramp, an elderly man, was charged with using obscene language at Rushden.

Thomas Horn, of Higham Ferrers, said he was in Hayway on Monday afternoon. Prisoner, after asking the way to Wellingborough, began to abuse him and used horrible language. He also used bad language to a female.

Emily Burton, of Westfields, Higham Ferrers, said that the prisoner used very bad language to her.

Fined £1/1/0 and 6/- cost, or a month’s imprisonment.

“Workhouse Ain’t So Nice”

John J. Kelly, aged 83, a native of Northampton, was charged with being drunk at Rushden.

P.C. Sharman said that on Monday he saw prisoner sitting on the pavement in High-street. He told prisoner to go away, but the man could not get up. Witness, with the assistance of P.C. Norton, took prisoner to the police-station.

Inspector Bailey said there were 22 convictions on record against prisoner during the last 12 years, including drunkenness, indecent exposure, and sleeping out.

Mr. Knight: Why don’t you stop in the workhouse?

Prisoner: The workhouse ain’t such a nice place.

Fined 10s. or seven days in gaol.

Rushden Echo, 26th June 1914, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court
This Day (Friday) Before Messrs. Woolston, Fred Knight, John Claridge, Whitworth, Brown, E. C. Browning, R. F. Payne, Hawthorn and J. S. Clipson.

Harry Parker, Rushden, summoned for disobeying an Industrial School order of maintenance, did not appear.—Warrant issued.

Charles Robbins, Rushden, and Andrew Robinson, Wellingborough, for being drunk and disorderly, were fined £1 and costs each.

William Downing and George Litchfield, Rushden, for not sending children to school, were fined 10/- each inclusive.

The Rushden Echo 2nd July 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court This Day (Friday)
Before Messrs John Claridge, Nunneley, Gibbard, Pendered, Bailey and R. P. Payne.

Wm. Osborne, Newton-road, Rushden, was summoned for working a horse whilst in an unfit state on June 22. Inspector Philpott, R.S.P.C.A., prosecuted. P.S. Brumby said the animal was suffering from an old standing wound under the saddle and working it would be cruelty. Insp. Philpott corroborated and said that the animal was old and emaciated. Fined 15s 0d.

The Rushden Echo 16th July 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Rushden Meat Case - An Appeal
At Wellingborough Police Court this morning, Mr. John Williams, C.C., butcher, Wellingborough and John Tyler, his employee, attended and entered into recognisances to prosecute an appeal to the High Court against their conviction in the recent meat case from Rushden.

The Rushden Echo 6th August 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Absentee soldier-A Rushden soldier, Private George Bird, of the 3rd Suffolks, was charged at Wellingborough on Tuesday, before Mr. Gent, with being absent from his regiment. Prisoner said that his leave expired on Sunday and he had overlooked the date. It was stated that prisoner, who had difficulty in signing his name owing to his experiences at the front, had suffered from the effects of asphyxiating gas and had twice been wounded. The only leave he had had was from 4p.m. on Friday until Sunday, when he had to be back. The Magistrate expressed his sympathy with prisoner, who was remanded to await a military escort.

The Rushden Echo 13th August 1915, transcribed by Kay Collins

Sharnbrook Petty Sessions This Day (Friday)

Rushden Man’s Outing - David Odell, labourer, Rushden, was charged (1) with being drunk and disorderly at Sharnbrook, (2) with an assault on Insp. Bliss, and (3) with wilful damage to a police cell window at Sharnbrook. He pleaded guilty.

Insp. Bliss said that on Aug. 2nd he saw defendant very drunk in the street, using filthy language to two visitors, and striking a fighting attitude. He refused to go away and witness took him into custody. Near the Police Station he fell down and in the struggle assaulted witness. With assistance he got prisoner into the station and placed him in a cell. Soon afterwards he heard a smash of glass and found prisoner had broken the window and witness handcuffed him. Later on he heard a noise and found two bolts removed from the door. Witness then handcuffed him behind.

Geo. Henry Ekins corroborated and said he assisted the police. He was thanked by the Chairman.

Defendant said he remembered nothing about it and did not know until the next morning.

Mr. Thomas Wilmott, builder, of Rushden, said defendant had worked for him 12 or 14 years. Defendant had never lost a week away from work during that time. With the exception of holiday times he was a very steady workman.

Defendant promised to take an oath not to touch drink again for 12 months and Mr. Wilmott agreed to be surety for him.

The Chairman said there was no excuse for defendant’s conduct, and as the drink did not add to defendant’s happiness he would be wise to let it alone. Had it not been for Mr. Wilmott’s good character of him he would have been sent to hard labour without the option of a fine. On the first charge he would be bound over in £10, and his employer in a similar sum, to come up for judgement if called upon and to abstain from drink for a year. On the second charge he would be fined £1, and on the third 7/6 damage, with costs on all charges - £1/19/0 in all.

Rushden Echo, 7th April 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court
Before Colonel Hill, Messrs. W. Langley, A. Allebone, E. Parsons, Gent, G. Miller, and W. Bazeley.

Vaccination Act
Robert Shaw
, Ernest Garley, and Bert Gell, Rushden, were summoned under the Vaccination Act. The case against Gell was withdrawn. The others were fined 6/0.

Lighting Restrictions
There were nearly 60 prosecutions for failing to comply with the order for the restriction of lighting. Before the cases were called on Col. Hill made a strong appeal to the public to comply with the order.

The Bench, he said, did not want to make the public obey the order by inflicting fines upon them; they wanted them to do it of their own free will, but if they did not then there was no alternative but for them to be prosecuted and fined. The Magistrates hoped the people in the district would help the Bench and the police in every way they could by having their lights properly shaded.

Some people might say that a certain light would not matter as the police would not see it. That, however, was not the point. What they wanted was that the Zeppelins should see no lights. It was quite possible that lights from windows or roof lights showing in backways or courts, if they could not be seen by the police, might be seen by Zeppelins. Therefore, it was important that every light should be obscured.

Rushden defendants were fined as follow:-

Emma Reynolds

36 Winchester Road


Alfred Gilbert

15 Victoria Road


Wm. Parker

10 park Road


Harry Cave

62 Glassbrook Road


Arthur Tew

3 Park Place


Alfred Gilbert

89 Moor Road


Geo. A. Marlow

High Street


Fredk. King

32 Irchester Road


Thos. L. Chubb

Queen Street


John Wm. Hart

35 Pratt Road


Walter J. Lack

Independent Wesleyan Church


George Stevenson



Similar fines were inflicted on Irthlingborough, Wellingborough, Finedon, and Earls Barton defendants.

Rushden Echo May 12th 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Higham Ferrers Police Court
Monday, before the Mayor (Ald. T Patenall) and Ald. Owen Parker

Rushden Boot Manufacturer Fined for Dangerous Motoring
“At a Furious Rate”

Harry Eaton, boot manufacturer, of Alfred Street, Rushden, was charged with driving a motor car at a speed dangerous to the public in the borough of Higham Ferrers.

P.C. Powell said that on Thursday, April 27th, at 7.30p.m. he saw a motor car coming along College-street at a furious rate—from 30 to 35 miles an hour. There were many people about. Witness held up his hand and defendant pulled up in 30 yards. When stopped Mr Eaton said “If I was going that pace I could not have stopped so quickly”. The constable pointed out that defendant saw him with his hand up 10 yards before he got to him. When asked for his name and address defendant said “Don’t take that or it will cost me a lot of money”.

Cross Examined: I would sooner say over 10 miles an hour than under. Mr Eaton was joking and did not give trouble about the name.

Special Constable W Lawrence corroborated. There were 30 to 40 people about.

Defendant said he had only a 9h.p. car, and it was impossible to drive it so rapidly, he was driving at 10 to 12 miles an hour. If the constable said he was driving at a furious rate he would admit it. He had a clean licence, and hoped they would not smudge it.

A fine of £1 and 3s costs was imposed.

Rushden Cyclist
George Taylor of 16, Pratt-road, Rushden, was fined 10/6 for riding a cycle without a head light about midnight on April 15th. Defendant had a rear-light but no head light.

Rushden Echo, 21st July 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court – This Day (Friday)
Before Col. J. Hill, Mr. Hazeldine, Mr. W. Bazeley, Mr. E. Parsons and Mr. Gent.

Arthur Simpson, Rushden, for driving a trap at night without a red rear light, was fined 6/0.

Annie Beeby, 92, Park-road, Albert Green, 111, Washbrook-road, all of Rushden, were fined 6/0 each for breaches of the Lighting Restriction Order.

Rushden Echo, 4th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

War-time Excess—At Northampton on Monday Alfred Linnett (60) labourer, 119, High-street, Rushden, was charged with being found drunk in Cecil-road, Northampton, on Saturday. The offence being admitted defendant was fined 5/0 or six days imprisonment.

Rushden Echo, 4th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Cycling Cases—At Sharnbrook on Friday, Arthur Wilmer, labourer, Rushden and William E. Baldrey, shoehand, Rushden, were summoned for riding cycles improperly lit up, at Pavenham. P. C. Pickering said defendants had bright lights, which were not obscured. He obscured the light by pasting on tissue paper.—The Chairman said that one County Council did one thing and another County Council did another, until one did not know where one was.—Insp. Bliss said they had frequent cases of people coming out of Northamptonshire and dashing by the constables.—Fined 5s. each.

Rushden Echo, 11th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court - This day (Friday)
Before Col. Hill, Mr. Allebone, Mr. W. Bazeley, Ald. Owen Parker, Mr. E. Parsons and Mr. Gent.

Alfred Burnett, 8, East-grove, Rushden, for riding a bicycle at night without a red rear light, at Rushden on July 29, was fined 6/0.

Walter Partridge, Jack Dorks, Horace Waller and Chas. Meadows, Rushden in gaming with cards at Rushden on July 31, were fined 10/0 each.

Rushden Echo, 25th August 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court—This Day (Friday)
Before Messrs. F. Knight, Sharman, Brown, J. Spencer, Hawthorn, and Whitworth.

Hy. Thos. Ireson, Rushden, was summoned by Ethel F. Ireson, for common assault at Rushden, on Aug. 22.—Mr. E. W. Jackson appeared for defendant.—Bound over to keep the peace and ordered to pay costs.

The following Rushden defendants were summoned under the Lighting Order: Harry Cartwright, 121, High-street, Herbert J. Tuffrey, 34, Station-road, Letitia Wing, 11, Irchester-road, James Knight, 57, Moor-road, Jno. Hy. Nunley, 18, Orchard-place, Jas. King, 77, Duck-street, Albert E. Underwood, 58, Sartoris-road, George Tompson, Roberts-street, Fredk. Caswell, 135, Wellingborough-road, Albert Marriott, 7, Glassbrook-road. Fined 7/6 each.

Wm. Geo. Willmott, Wellingborough-road, Rushden, was summoned for not keeping a dog under proper control at night at Rushden, and fined 10/-.

Lily Carr, and Arunah Gadsby, Rushden, were summoned for being drunk and disorderly at Rushden. Carr was fined 15/- and Gadsby 10/-.

Rushden Echo, 1st September 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court - This day (Friday)
Before Messrs. Allebone, W. Bazeley, G. Miller, E. Parsons, C. A. Hazeldine, and Gent.

Under the Lighting Oder Henry Clayton, 92, Queen-street, and Gertrude Houghton, 26, Montague-street, Rushden, were fined 6/- each.

Albert E. J. Watts, Rushden, for riding a bicycle without a light at Rushden on Aug. 21, was ordered to pay 4/- costs.

Three Rushden scholars were summoned for stealing beans value 1/0 the property of Chas. Knight, Rushden. The oldest boy was ordered to receive six strokes of the birch and the others were fined 5/0.

There was a similar charge of the amount of 2/0 against three other Rushden scholars. Two of the boys were fined 5/0 each and the other boy was fined 3/0.

Four Rushden scholars (1 girl and 3 boys) were summoned for damaging wheat and beans to the amount of 4/0 at Rushden. Fined 5/0 each.

Rushden Echo, 8th September 1916, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court - This day (Friday)
Before Ald. Nunneley, Mr. John Claridge and other Magistrates.

The following Rushden defendants were summoned under the Lighting Regulations:-

Chas. Bates, president of the Boot and Shoe Operatives’ Union for an unobscured light in the Trade Union Offices on Sept. 2nd. Defendant did not appear. Case adjourned.

A. Okins, 30, Church-street—Fined 7/6.

John Clark, boot manufacturer—10/0.

Chas. Blunsom, outfitter re-leight in dwelling-house—7/6.

Louis Franz Phillips, draper re-light in dwelling-hoise—7/6.

Ernest Mobbs, shoehand, High-street South—7/6.

Jonathan Lack, 147 High-street—Fined 7/6.

Richard Gilbert, sexton, St. Mary’s Church, Rushden, summoned under the Defence of the Realm Act for allowing the church clock to strike at night on September 5th, was fined 5/6. This is the first case in the county to be brought forward under the new regulations.

William Hall and Geo. Thompson, shoehands, Rushden, were summoned for illegal fishing in waters at Knuston. (case proceeding)

The Argus, 5th January1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Quarter Sessions at Northampton - Three Years for a Soldier
Edgar Harold Millard (37), soldier, was indicted for stealing £2 1s. 8d., the property of John Henry Oberman, at Rushden, on Nov. 17th. Prisoner pleaded guilty, and admitted a previous conviction for larceny. Sergt. Beale said that when he arrested the prisoner he said that he committed the offence to get his discharge from the Army. Lieut. Mainprice said that the man had a good Army record. The Chairman: Do you want a man like this, with a long career of crime, back in the Army? Lieut. Mainprice: Yes. I think we could do some good with him. The Chairman said that prisoner was evidently a bad character. He evidently did this thinking to get a short sentence, and then get out of the Army, but it was not their intention to gratify him. He would be sentenced to three years’ penal servitude.

Rushden Argus, 1st June 1917, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Police Court
Charles Mole, market gardener, 188 Wellingborough-road, Rushden, was summoned for burning a heap of rubbish after the specified time on May 17th.—P.C. Sharman said he could not put the fire out, as it was so big.—Defendant said they could not grow rubbish and corn too. He had to get rid of the rubbish.—Fined 7s. 6d.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 19th April 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Wellingborough Petty Sessions - Friday 26th April 1918
Before Messrs. Owen Parker, A. Allebone, G. W. Coles and E. Parsons.

Wilfred Howe, Rushden, for not having red rear light on a motor van, was ordered to pay 8s. costs.

Rushden Echo, 1st November 1918, transcribed by Kay Collins

Alleged Robbery at Rushden
At the Police Station on Saturday, before Mr F Knight, Emily Smith, aged 25, of 9, Higham-road, Rushden, a shoehand, was charged with stealing £90 in Treasury notes and silver, the property of Walter Lion Duncan, boot manufacturer, of Rushden, on October 25th.

Inspector Osborne gave evidence of having arrested prisoner the previous afternoon and recovering the money.

It appears that twelve months ago the accused was in Mr Duncan’s employ. It is alleged, for the prosecution, that on Friday last, during the dinner hour, when practically all the employees were away, the prisoner went to the factory, and, going to the office, told Mr Lines, the chief clerk, that a woman downstairs wanted him. He went downstairs, and found no one there. On his return he found that the accused had gone and the money was missing.

Today, at the petty Sessions, Lewis lines, chief clerk to the prosecutor, said that on October 25th he was in the office at the factory when the accused came and said, “I have come from Irthlingborough, and I have an important message for you.” Witness asked, “Is it from home?” Defendant replied, “I don’t know. I have a friend outside who asked me to come and see you.” Witness went out of the office into the street to see who the “friend” was, but he could see no one about, and on returning found the accused still there. He told her he could see no one, and she replied “Well, we came together.” Witness again went into the street, leaving the girl in his office, and when he returned he saw she had left and was away on a bicycle. Prior to the girl going in there was, in a bag under the counter, £107 in Treasury notes, £23 in silver, and £1 in coppers. A few minutes after her disappearance he found that £90 was missing.

Inspector Osborne said that on taxing the defendant with the offence she denied going to the factory. Subsequently she admitted that the money was in an outbuilding, where witness discovered it.

Accused now said that directly she left the factory she knew she had done wrong, and went back intending to place the money back in the office, but she heard Mr Line there and did not get a chance.

Supt. McLeod said the action of the accused in getting the clerk to go out of the office made the offence appear to have been premeditated.

Accused was fined £5 or one month in default of payment. The money was paid. Accused was carried out of court in a fainting condition.

Rushden Echo, Friday, August 15th, 1919, transcribed by Kay Collins.~

Stolen Purse—Ill-Gotten GainsTwo Rushden boys at Wellingborough Midland Station on Saturday found in the waiting room a purse containing over a sovereign. Not feeling inclined to give the purse to any of the officials they went into Wellingborough and had high jinks at various shops, buying anything that took their fancy, amongst them being a toy upright piano, a set of carpenter's tools, and eatables. Arriving home they were unable to explain satisfactorily why they had so suddenly become "bloated capitalists", with the consequence that the police were asked to make investigations. Meantime, two Rushden young ladies arrived at Bedford minus purse, money, and tickets, and had to pay their fares a second time. The Midland Railway Police have the matter in hand.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Fire, Police & Crime index
Click here to e-mail us