The striking memorial, unveiled by St. Arthur de Capell Brooke recently has been erected in honour of the 380 sons of Rushden who lost their lives in the Great War. The memorial is octagonal, divided in three tiers and surmounted with a tapering spire, the style being a free treatment of the Classic Renaissance.
There were about 12,000 persons present at the unveiling ceremony, which was of a most impressive character. Sir Arthur, before releasing the Union Jack which shrouded the memorial, expressed pleasure that all Rushden had combined to make the memorial a united offering to the memory of the men who died in the common cause of King and Country. The architect had included in the memorial, three figures representing Fortitude, Sympathy and St. George, the patron saint of England. Those figures were aptly introduced. It was fortitude that enabled our armies in the blackest days to fight on, sympathy which kept all the sections of our people united, and the outcome was victory for St. George, Victory for England.
The memorial was dedicated by the Rector, and the formal handing over of the memorial to the custody of the Rushden Urban Council was performed by Mr. Fred Knight. J.P. (Chairman of the Rushden War Memorial Committee and accepted by Mr. W. Bazeley, J.P. (Chairman of the local Council). Afterwards a profusion of beautiful wreaths was deposited at the foot of the memorial, which was designed by Messrs Gotch & Saunders of Kettering, the carving being the work of Messrs. Reynolds & Son, Northampton.
A postcard c1925
A series of postcards taken at the Dedication of the War Memorial, or shortly afterwards
Three photos from 1921
This one is by Breary & Collins of Bedford
This picture comes with caption "at the opening of the War Memorial" and is taken outside Mr Skinner's butcher's shop.
The cart is driven by Mr W C Knowlton, who kept a wood yard
at Podington, his wife Hannah and Mrs Kit Arnold Brown (Eliza).