Unveiling A Monument At RushdenOn Saturday afternoon, at Rushden the memorial raised to the memory of Charles R. Bettles and Arthur Ellis, was unveiled by Mrs. P. Cave in the absence of her husband, who is president of the local corps, but who is now in South Africa. The monument, which is a red Aberdeen granite obelisk 9ft. high and 3ft. 2in. wide star, is just inside the Newton-road entrance to the right of the path, the site being given by the Urban Council. The scheme of carrying out the memorial was arranged by the members of the local corps of the St. John Ambulance, assisted by the Young Men's Classes at Park-road Baptist Chapel and the Wesleyan Methodist, with which the two young men, Bettles and Ellis, were formerly connected. The inscription on the monument is as follows:
"To the memory of Charles R. Bettles, who died at Bloemfontein, June 29, 1900, aged 19 years; and Arthur Ellis, who died at Johannesburg, August 2nd, 1900, aged 19 years, while serving as Volunteer Hospital Orderlies in the South African War. This monument is erected by sympathetic friends. 26th July, 1902." Also on the left-hand side of the monument is the text: "Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends." The monument was designed and executed by Messrs. Morris and Sons, of Rushden. The unveiling ceremony took place at 3.30 on Saturday afternoon.
Prior to the ceremony a procession was formed at the station, headed by the Rushden Temperance Band, consisting of members of the local Ambulance, together with detachments from Higham Ferrers, Irthlingborough, Finedon, Ringstead, Wollaston, Irchester, and Bozeat. The officers in command were Superintendent Hilton (Wellingborough), Superintendent A. Cave and First Officer Swindall (Rushden), First Officer Groom, Higham Ferrers, and First Officer Eatley (Irthlingborough). The nursing Sisters came next, followed by members of Park-road Baptist Bible Classs and the Park-road Wesleyan Bible Class, and members of the local Rechabite Tent. Amongst others on the specially improvised dais supporting Mrs. P. Cave were: Miss Smith, Mrs. A. Cave, Revs ........