|Northampton Mercury, 1st August 1902
A ceremony of an interesting character took place at Rushden cemetery on Saturday afternoon, when in the presence of a large number of the inhabitants and ambulance men from a wide surrounding district, a memorial, which had been erected to the memory of two Rushden men who died from enteric whilst on service in South Africa, was unveiled by Mrs Paul Cave. The ceremony was taken part in by ministers of nearly all the Free Churches in the town, as well as by the Chairman of the Urban Council, and address was given by Chief Supt. Hilton, who mentioned the interesting fact that no less than 52 men of the Wellingborough Division volunteered for service at the front. The memorial to the deceased men consists of a granite obelisk bearing a suitable inscription.