|David Richard Jones
David joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers as a pre war territorial in the Summer of 1912 when he was allocated the number 329. He was given the number 310072 during the First World War, and the Regiment was first stationed in Northampton before moving on to Higham Ferrers. He met his first wife, Miss Maud Mann of 43 Campbell Street, Northampton, and they married at St Sepulchre’s Church, Northampton in January 1916. Tragically in November 1918, Maud died aged 23 years of age (possibly as a result of the Spanish Flu Epidemic).
David married his second wife, Miss Ida Kate Hodson of Windmill Cottages, Burton Latimer, in 1920. They eventually moved to Higham Ferrers where he found work at the Victoria Leather Company in Midland Road. David also played for Higham Town Football Club in the early 1920s.
Together they had two daughters, Mrs Gwendoline ‘Gwen’ Murdin (1921-2015) and Mrs Iris Leeson (born 1926) both of whom served the local community. Mrs Murdin was honoured with the B.E.M. and was Mayor of Higham Ferrers on three occasions and also the Chairman of East Northamptonshire District Council.