Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Barwick - Greenfield - Childs
4 Griffith Street & Park Place
Entering Park Place factory
The two bay factory built in 1895 in Park Place
Looking from the churchyard gates

Joseph Barwick was a watchmaker, born at Irchester, and he was trading in Rushden High Street in 1891. His wife Selina died and was buried in Rushden Cemetery.

His daughter Elizabeth was a draper's assistant, then aged 17, and Thomas Tinkler, aged 25, was a boarder with him, and working in the business. Three years later Elizabeth was married to Thomas Tinkler, at Melton Mowbray, where he had been born in 1862.

B 928/9

In loving remembrance of Selina the beloved wife of Joseph BARWICK who departed this life 15th July 1891 aged 45 years. Also of Lizzie the beloved wife of Tom E TINKLER and daughter of the above born June 4th 1873 died Aug 4th 1905. Be at rest.

house and factory
Foreground centre - two bays of the factory built 1895
In 1890 Joseph had put in plans to the Urban Council to build two houses, then a machine room in 1893, and to build a boot factory in Griffith Street in June 1895. There was a fire in 1899.

He had left the jewellery business and was living at 4 Griffith Street, and employing others in a new business as a shoe machine sewer, trading under the names A E & G Barwick (his son George and daughter-in-law Ada E). In 1908 Joseph was living at 39 Moor Road. George died in 1920, Joseph died in 1923, and Ada died in 1933.

In 1908 Dr Greenfield was living at No 4 Griffith Street. [In 1910 the house was owned by Thomas Cobb.] On his return from war service, Dr Greenfield left No 4 and moved to number 2 Griffith Street, and went into partnership with Dr McCabe. Dr Greenfield then moved to Hayway and Dr McCabe moved into No 2.

In 1919 William Childs moved into No 4, and he made lifts and heels for the shoemakers. In 1928 the company moved to the Old Windmill Club in Windmill Road, and William also bought the house next door, but he remained at Griffith Street until at least 1940.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Shoe Trade index
Click here to e-mail us