Child Burned at Rushden
On Saturday afternoon a four-year-old boy, son of Mr. Eli Glidle, of Little-street, Rushden, had a narrow escape from serious injury. It appears that the mother left the room for a few minutes for fuel to replenish the fire, which was fed with wood. During her absence the little fellow by some means caught his pinafore on fire. With the help of the neighbours the flames were extinguished, but not before his left arm and side had been somewhat badly burnt. First aid was rendered to the little sufferer, and Dr. Baker was summoned. It was then found that whilst the injuries were extensive, they were not so deep as was at first feared. P.C. Knighton remained with the sufferer and attended to his needs till the district nurse could be obtained. Under the doctor’s and the nurse’s care the little fellow has since made satisfactory progress.
3rd October, 1902
Burning Fatality at Rushden - The Inquest
An inquest was conducted on Monday evening at the Compass Inn, Rushden, touching the circumstances surrounding the death of Arthur Joseph Glidle, son of Mr. Glidle, Little-street, whose death resulted from burns received on the previous Saturday week. Mr. J. T. Parker, county coroner, conducted the enquiry, and Mr. George Winters was chosen foreman of the jury. After the body had been viewed the following evidence was taken:-
Elizabeth Glidle, wife of Eli Glidle, carter, said the body viewed by the jury was that of her son, aged three years and five months. On the afternoon of Saturday week she left the boy in the house whilst she went into the yard to empty some ashes whilst tidying up the fireplace. There was a guard, which she had removed to clear the grate. When she left the room the deceased was standing by the door in another room, but not near the fire. She had just thrown a few sticks and some paper on the fire, which was nearly out. She left the guard off, as he had to go to the grate again to take up more ashes. She was away less than four minutes, and got water to clean the hearth. She heard the boy call, and on running back found him just outside the door with his clothes on fire. She put out the flames as best she could, a man named Pendered coming to help her. She put oil on the child’s burns, and sent for the doctor. She carried out his instructions, but the boy died at five o’clock on Sunday morning. No one was in the house when deceased was burnt. The boy had been rather tiresome about the fire, and had once fallen from a chair over the guard. - By the Foreman : She did not go out of the yard.
Charles W. Pendered, shoe finisher, said he was in a workshop adjoining the house of the Glidle’s about 3.15, and saw Mrs. Glidle leave the house. Directly afterwards he heard her scream. He got through the window into the yard, and saw Mrs. Glidle putting out the fire on deceased’s clothing. He helped to dress the child with oil. The doctor was sent for at once. There were only a few sticks in the grate, and the fire was very low. He could see that the grate was partially cleaned. Mrs. Glidle had asked a woman at the top of the yard for a tray and a chair, but did not stay there.
Dr. Baker said he was called to see the child about 3.30, and found him suffering from superficial burns on the legs, arms, body, neck and chin. The child went on very well until Saturday last, when convulsions set in, from which the child died on Sunday morning. These convulsions resulted from the burns.
The Coroner said the child appeared to be an exception to the general rule that “the burnt child feared the fire.” Evidently the mother thought that she should be away so short a time that it was scarcely necessary to replace the guard.
Verdict of “Death from convulsions, following injury from burns accidentally received.”