|Wellingborough News, 20th May 1882
PROPERTY SALE—"Rushden Cottage," with its extensive grounds, the property of the Hon. C. W. Fitzwilliam, M.P., for several years in the occupation of Mr. H. W. Currie, and at present occupied by Mr. Campbell Praed, was put up for sale by auction by Messrs. Stafford and Rogers, on the 11th inst., at the Wagon and Horses Inn, Rushden. The "Cottage," stabling, and 6,640 square yards of land, were bought by Mr. Cave for £1,600; a tool and store house, overlooking a portion of the grounds, being bought by Mr. Higgins for £71. Lots 1 to 4, containing 1,231 yards, were bought by Mr. G. Denton for £152; lots 5 and 6, 780 yards, by Mr. H. Skinner, for £86; lot 7, 535 yards, by Mr. C. Sanders, for £56; lots 8 to 11, 1,220 yards, by Mr. Cave, for £165; lots 12 and 13, 675, by Mr. Cox, for £58; lots 14 and 15, 642 yards, by Mr. W. Spencer, for £57; lots 25 and 26, 556 yards, by Mr. Edwin Knight, for £69. The remaining lots, covering over an acre of ground, were withdrawn. Lots 27 and 28 were afterwards privately bought by Mr. G. Perkins, for the Rushden Tradesmen's Club, for £91; and lots 5, 6, and 7 were subsequently re-sold to Mr. Cave. Two cottages in Duck-street, the property of Mr. C. Praed, were sold at the close of the above auction to Mr. John Wood, for £200. The auction was a fairly spirited one, the auctioneers being evidently well satisfied with the results.