Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Thrift Cottages

This little row of seven cottages was built by Thomas Wilmott. After Thomas died, in 1907 the cottages passed to his son Walter together with the family home fronting Wellingborough Road.

Walter was third son of Thomas, and brother of William George who continued the business of his father as contractor.

A.T.P. Phillipson lists these cottages as almshouses in his two directories 1908 and 1910.

The cottages were pulled down in the 1960s.

Thrift Cottages
taken from Fitzwilliam Street/Wellingborough Road corner
The Mole family lived at No.1 in 1901.
Reg Roberts was born in one of the cottages in 1918.
Fred Waller was born, and lived all his life at No.5.
Thrift Cottages in the snow
Duck Street looking towards the church, the cottages on the right were replaced by flats and the new entrance into the car park. Across the road (centre) is the tanner of Fred Corby, the tall building on the horizon behind the factory being the National Westminster Bank built by Robert Marriott in 1890.

Photos (left and below) by Michael Martin

View from where Thrift Cottages had been
demolished - Thrift Cottages
(left) Thrift Cottages being demolished in the 1960s to create the Duck Street car park. At the top of the picture is William Lockie's workshop - still standing behind a property in Fitzwilliam Street in 2011. He was a tin smith and previously worked at Ebenezer Terrace.

The photo above is taken from here looking across the area that is now Alfred Street School recreation area, and the John Street car park.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us