Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Oak Lodge

built around 1885

No 10 Church Street - Oak Lodge was built about 1885


Extract from a 1951 newsclip: “In another two years the house in Church Street, Oak Lodge – with its staircase and porch made from the oak from the *Windmill mentioned in Domesdaye Book – was in the market, and father bought that and across the drive erected a retail shop with a workshop behind.

“From the house to the shop he had a telephone – absolutely the first telephone in Rushden.

Note: *the that once stood in Windmill Road.


Oak Lodge in about 1950
Oak Lodge - No 10 Church Street
Hakkers Hair Salon & Oak Lodge - 2008
A T Nichols (plumber), J S Clipson (engineer) and Helen Buttling (ladies' hairdresser) once lived here.

2018 rear view of Oak Lodge outhouse and the back wall of A T Nichol's warehouse (right) in Coffee Tavern Place.

Note the tall chimney at the
end of the warehouse.

Behind the outhouse is the yard where John Clipson built a workshop when he moved round the corner into Alfred Street. The roof of his shop on the corner is just visible above the outhouse roof.

outhouse


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us