|Abraham Groome started shoemaking in 1850 at Higham Ferrers. In 1890 the company, now Abraham Groome and Sons, built a new one-floor sytem factory in Oak Street, off Higham Road, Rushden. Son George Henry Groome (b1856) and Sarah his wife (b1863) lived at Hazelwood from about 1897 until 1936. The house and land (about 4½ acres) was near the factory, with a long driveway off Hayway leading to the house.
Sarah Frances Groome, eldest daughter of George, married William Hamilton Carrick (Assistant Paymaster RNR - HMS Davina) at Higham Ferrers Methodist Church in 1916. Their daughter Dorothy (b Nov 1918) was baptised at the same church in September 1919.