Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Spencer Road

Named after Councillor John Spencer

The boundaries of the street are Spencer Park and Hayway. Plans were laid out in 1895.

2019
C1920 - postcard of Spencer Road taken from Washbrook Road.
At the far end is Sanders and Sanders Shoe Factory on the right, and a side gate into Spencer Park.
And a century later - the same view in 2019
No people but lots of cars and TV aerials
Courtesy of Mervyn Wood

The Sanders and Sanders factory in Spencer Road in 2008
It was built in 1924 following a fire.

marching in Washbrook Road
Home Guard - marching in Washbrook Road passing Spencer Park Garage (right)
and Spencer Park Stores on the corner of Spencer Road.
Notice also the old lamp post painted white for visibility in the dark.

Washbrook Road junction
Washbrook Road Junction c1960 and Spencer Park Garage


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us