Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

South Terrace

South Terrace 1956
Houses on the right and outbuildings - probably shoeworkers workshops and scullery on the left - c1950s
The entrance way to South Terrace was through this entry between the houses where High Street South joins Little Street and Bedford Road.
Known as "Pinchgut" by the locals.

07 August 1875 - Northampton Mercury 

South Terrace Picnic—On Saturday last the first of what is intended to be annual picnic, came of a field, kindly lent ......


This is the best photograph we have (so far!) with South Terrace running left to right - from High Street South to Park Road, behind the Old Rectory.

The garden in the foreground was created in 1908 and kept in trim by Fred Knight's widow Marcia, as a memorial to Fred.

South Terrace was pulled down and replaced by South Close.

demolition 1950s

The Old Rectory was the part behind the main structure in the picture,
and the long row behind is South Terrace c1914

1917 Street Memorial

Rushden Echo & Argus, 10th May 1935
South Terrace Tea-party
Their own Tea-party
South Terrace residents enjoying themselves at a
Peace Celebration Tea in 1919

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us