|The Rushden Echo and Argus, 13th June 1958
Roadmen Looking Out for Bones
Work on widening the A6 trunk road where it passes St. Mary’s Church, Rushden, is progressing at a rapid pace after having started slowly with two men removing the old wall stones with hand tools.
Mechanical excavators are on the scene this week, busily scooping up the 12 feet of ground from the churchyard.
Digging continues to go carefully in case any remains of bones from old graves are found. If disturbed, they will be reinterred elsewhere.
The quick work of the road wideners has brought about a sudden new and strange look to a familiar spot. When the work is completed, many motorists will feel much happier at the removal of an obstruction to vision.
In Higham Ferrers, another road widening scheme is in operation, also involving Church property.
Part of the wall around the vicarage garden has been knocked down and the corner is to be sliced off the garden to allow greater freedom for motorists turning from Wood Street into Midland Road.
The high stone wall at this corner has obscured vision of the road ahead and cars have had to turn the corner at slow speeds to be on the safe side. As in Rushden, this work has been discussed for a long time and eagerly looked forward to by road users. First indications of the road widening at this spot were given several months ago when the Gas Board went through the walls and across the end of the garden when laying pipes instead of following the road. Few people realised the significance at the time but it can be seen now that where the gas board did its work is where the new corner will be set back.