Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Rectory Road


Extract from Postman Retires 1907: The only streets in Rushden in 1873 were High-street, Duke-street, Church-lane (now called Newton-road and Church-lane), and Little-street. On the Back-way, now known as Rectory-road and Park-road, the only houses were Margetts’ Cottages, at the top of Drawbridge’s yard, the Rectory, and six cottages in what is now called Park-road. The only yards were Sargent’s-yard (now called Beaconsfield-place), Denton’s-yard (now called Woburn-place), the Orchard, Jaques’-yard (now Milton-place), Drawbridge’s-yard (now Succoth-place) ........

Much of Rectory Road property today is new since the first demolition for road widening in 1927.

Re-development has been on-going since the 1950s, when the road became part of the one-way system for traffic.

Beaconsfield Terrace
 Beaconsfield Place
Beaconsfield Terrace built 1890 at the north end of Rectory Road near the railway station
Opposite the terrace facing away from the road into a yard is Beaconsfield Place

Rectory Road corner of Victoria Road
This factory's had lots of occupants over the years
This block of modern flats is between Queen Street and Victoria Road, and stands behind Hamblin Court.

There is a footpath through to the High Street via Hamblin Court.

This was part of the Telephone Exchange until a new one was built next door, in Victoria Road.
It had also been the old Employment Exchange
and Tax Office - at the corner of East Grove.
2010 2015
The Coxton shoe factory (right) - the other 3 bays (left) were the Boot & Shoe School - adjoined in 1928.
Later used by the NPP Co. - now subdivided. (photos 2010 & 2015) G H Leather in the first bay (above).
In 2018 there is car sevice centre and a car repair shop occupying both buildings.
One of the few buildings (left) to survive, built by E Claridge & Sons, in the 1890s.

It was taken over by Denton Brothers, and is now Silver Reed sewing machines. (2015)

Opposite this is the Health Clinic.


The junction with Queen Street - two cottages, the one to the right was later John Shortland's shoe repair workshop, and the house was at sometime Ladder Craft where nylon stockings could be repaired! All demolished in the 1950s, replaced by a Dentist Clinic.

The Hall
This photograph of the Salvation Army Hall at the junction of Queen Street and
Rectory Road shows how narrow the road was and no footpath! see 1927
In the distance is the factory of E Claridge & Sons

CWS Shoe Factory Office (right) built in 1920 and the facade has been saved.

Facing this building is a car park named Orchard Place after cottages demolished to create the space.

having fun in the car park
The area off Rectory Road
In 1953 Parking facilities on this site off Rectory Road were to be doubled, thanks to the owners, Rushden Co-operative Society.
The Co-op also had the Succoth Chapel which adjoined their plot.

They rented it to the Urban Council after putting it in order.

This is where the Job Centre now stands (2018).

Ann Sargent's advert tells us she had been established 40 years. Perhaps not always in Rectory Road, but in 1910 her shop was at the corner of Succoth Place. Was it possibly the little building just visible in the above picture top right?
1910
1910 advert in Phillipson's Directory
The Cottages facing the car park pictured above, were demolished in 1956. They include Mr East's shop where a street shrine was kept during WWI.

1910
1910 Phillipson's Directory
In WWI Mr East was at No 14 where a street shrine was.
Sketch by E G Wood: Cottages in Back Way re-named Rectory Road
George Street to the left and Succoth Place to the right
rectory house
The new Rectory House built in 1870 was demolished in 1987

Warehouse built in 1926 for Hodge's hardware store
in High Street. Today - Brian Watts Carpets.

In 1987 a new rectory was constructed in the grounds south of the old building, the old one sold off and converted to a Residential Home, the Cloisters. That closed in 2010, was sold and is a family home once more.
Grounds north of the old building were used to build self-contained units for the elderly.
The new rectory built in 1987

The new Job Centre
The stone wall (right) is in front of the Rectory


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us