Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Survey of plaques 2010, with additions
Park Road & Little Street
Name & Date Plaques

Park Road was built during in the 1870s and 1880s as a continuation south from 'Back Way' (renamed Rectory Road after John Barker, rector of St Mary's Church, built a new rectory house there in 1871), from the Newton Road corner where the council buildings stand and on through to Harborough Park. The latter dropped the "park" to become Harborough Road.
The Council Building at the corner with Newton Road
and new houses built c2002 after demolition of factory

No 5 Park Road

This picture is taken from an aerial view
and shows the factory first used by
Bull & Clayton, later the NPP Co, and
in 1959 the 'Polar Works' of Fred Hawkes.

It was beyond the BWTA Hall built in 1907.


Part of this was originally a doctor's surgery, then
extended as part of William Child's heel factory.
At some time used by the Allotment Society.
14 Park Road - recently made into a bungalow.

The Linnets
No 11 - now The Linnets - was formerly the home of Doctor B W Paine, with the practice attached.
His partners were Dr Clark and Dr Book.

Park Road Stores East Grove
Park Road Stores - No 48
East Grove 1877
Cherry Orchard Cottages Cherry Orchard Cottages
Cherry Orchard Cottages 1885
Nos 86-88


Next to Cherry Orchard Cottages, in 1956, the Council built eleven bungalows for old people.


School & Assembly Rooms
Chapel House - originally the

School & Assembly Room

at the

Old Baptist Church



left: the rear of the building

Chapel House
This plaque marks the partnership between
Servite Houses
and East Northamptonshire Council
as celebrated on 28th September 2000
Chapel House conversion forms part of the Council’s
Empty Property Strategy

Chapel House - 72


The School Rooms
The Baptist School Rooms & the Baptist Church Old Manse
now a block of flats and the Manse rebuilt

51 Park Road 53 Farningham House built in 1905
Built in 1905
Farningham House was named after Miss Marianne Farningham
who laid the foundation stone for
the Baptist Church Assembly Hall
and Schoolroom
51 Park Road - The Old Manse
of the Wesleyan Methodist Church
53 Farningham House

The Co-op shop at No 77
(above right) Part of the Southfields complex.
They are flats, built on the land where 50 prefabs once stood.
(the white buildings centre of the aerial picture above)


The row of cottages to the right of the prefabs is those detailed below. The tallest building being the Co-op shop, at No.77.


Industrial Cottages
Industrial Cottages
Industrial Cottages built in 1892 - Nos 79 - 85 - which adjoined the Co-op Shop

East side of Park Road

Clifton Ville A D 1898

'Cliftonville' was built in 1898 on the corner of Essex Road with Park Road.

It was firstly the home of Frederick Corby, a currier, and later Charles Cross, proprietor of the Rushden Echo lived there.


below: In 2010 it is a residental home with a large extension behind, in Park Road, and still carries the name 'Cliftonville'.

Clifton-Ville A D 1898
Clifton Ville & Essex Road Cliftonville Park Road view
The frontage in Essex Road
Park Road gable end with plaque above the windows

Belmont Cottage No 87
Belmont & Claremont built in 1886
Belmont Cottage No 87
Claremont Cottage No 89
Claremont Cottage No 89
Belmont & Claremont built in 1886

Shamrock Villas
Nos 91 & 93
Shamrock Villas built in 1887 Nos 91 & 93

Nos 95 & 97 built 1888
Hawarden Cottages
Hawarden Cottages Nos 95 & 97 built 1888

The corner house of Park Road
built in 1885
The corner house of Park Road has its door in Harborough Road - it was built in 1885

Little Street

Around the next corner below Park Road is Little Street.
This building has its house entrance in Harborough Road, with an impressive shop frontage in Little Street.

Extract from diary notes of Ebenezer Knight:

1870 - October. Bridge built at top of Little Street. The Res(idents) in York’s Pit made to swill the Brook.


Built in 1888
D Sherwood - Antiques Centre
1976 advert
Built in 1888 by Mr Bayes
as a general store, was No 1 Harborough Road
D Sherwood - Antiques Centre
Now No 59 Little Street

Also in Little Street is The Old Rectory, which has a date stone for 1897 when it was remodelled.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us