Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Survey of plaques 2010
Newton Road
A postcard around 1900 - before the Library or Council Buildings
looking back to the church
From the Church looking towards Newton under the arch built for Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897

At first the lower end of the road was known as Church Lane and was just a way through to Back Way now known as Rectory Road. It was also where the toll house stood, at the side gate into the town.

The Packwood family lived her for a number of years, and some members also became the parish clerk.

The gable advert is for Page & Ladds, tailors.


No 2 'Church House' c1908

1910 advert in Phillipson's Directory
At 19 was Mr Foster Vorley.

By 1906 the open space was filled with a Carnegie Library and the new Council Buildings. The building behind the cart (centre) was demolished to widen the road, and then the church wall was set back in 1959 as the next section was widened. As it became built up it was included in the road to the village of Newton Bromswold some four miles distant.

21 Newton Road
The shop at 21 Newton Road & Mrs Litchfield
This shop at 21 Newton Road was taken by Jeremiah Litchfield who moved here from High Street. Later Billy Keller took it over as a greengrocery.

In more recent times it was Bates' furniture - Mr Bates made bespoke kitchen furniture and wardrobes. When he left Sarah took over the premises to extend her babrber shop business at 19 Newton Road, into a ladies' hairdressers and beauty shop as well as the gents' barbers. After building an extension at number 21, Sarah has left no. 19.


c1910
c1910 after the Library and Council buildings 1905/6 - before 1923 widening
right: 1908 Richard Woolley, a shoe machinist, had traded next to the library
for a short time, before Ashford & Campion built their new factory.

over the library door
The Library built 1905 - a time of Civic Pride
Numbering of streets was first done in 1898, but at sometime in the 1930s many of the numbers were changed by plus 16 (44 became 60, 46 became 62 and so on, but further up the street by only 6 so 116 became 122).

The Temperance Society hall stands at the junction of Newton Road and Park Road, opposite the Council Buildings. A Board School was built in 1894, with an extension in 1899, and is now a Community School. Beyond the school there are several large houses built by the gentry of the town, and the town Cemetery which was opened in 1888. Several buildings of "Civic Pride" were built in the period 1894-1906: after the school there was the Athletic Club in 1898, a Fire Station built in 1902, the Carnegie Library was built in 1905 an in 1906 the Urban District Council built new offices, enhanced with fine etched glass windows with the RUDC monogram, and a carved stone balcony.

Two terraces were built just beyond Rectory Road, Cambridge Cottages on the south side and Ebenezer Terrace on the north side. Both were demolished in the 1980s. Beyond Cambridge Terrace a cluster of cottages had been removed some twenty years earlier and replaced with Dell Place council housing in 1968.

A few of the buildings have plaques with names or dates.

C G Ward 1898 Risdene Court
C G Ward 1898
2/4 High Street - corner of Newton Road
Risdene Court built where the factory of Ashford & Campion (later John White's) once stood between Library and Vestry Hall
Rose Cottage
Rose Cottage 1872 No 18 Newton Road
Rose Cottage faces the car park where Ebenezer Terrace once stood.

Russell Court faces Newton Road car park - a complex of flats for the over 55s - the Co-op yard & milk float garage was here
Three recently renovated cottages now Nos 12, 14 & 16
In 1901 Nos 4, 6 & 8 - since re-numbered
No 4 now No 12
This picture has been taken from an aerial view and shows a factory behind a cottage in Newton Road.

Walter Badham's brother-in-law William Sykes lived at number 4 (now no 12) and the access to Ager & Badham's factory
was from Park Road.

Below the cottage is the roof of the BWTA Hall built in 1907.


Cambridge cottages looking west Cambridge cottages looking east
Two postcards showing Cambridge Cottages - the plaque is above the boy in the right-hand picture.
The shop - Allen's - had earlier been the premises of shoe makers Green's.
The row was demolished in the 1960s, and Dell Place was built on the site in 1968.
A plaque can just be seen mid-terrace but we have no photograph showing the detail.

The terrace Mrs Homan's shop
plaque


1950s shows Mrs Homan's shop mid-terrace and the Cambridge Cottages plaque
is above the next door - far left is Smith's greengrocers, later called Margaret's

60 & 58 Newton Road
No 58
On the left is Fairfield Cottage No 60 Newton Road
It was originally the home of Alfred Sargent

Right: Built in 1889 by AED No 58


No 69 No 69
No 69 used to be No 49
Its a Dog's Life - grooming parlour in 2007
Built as a grocery shop for Tailby & Putnam - later Snippers hairdressers

Newton Road c1950s 75 Newton Road
Putnam's shop - corner of Pratt Road/Newton Road - has two blinds down. Opposite corner - Co-op Bakery shop - has another blind, and a bicycle is parked on the roadside kerb. Far left is the old Fire Station and Athletic Club. c1950s
75 Newton Road, at the corner with Cromwell Road was a
sub Post Office from the 1930s until about 2005 when it
reverted to being a domestic property once more.

Humber Terrace No 62
Humber Terrace - No 62 is double fronted with a bay
Humber Terrace Nos 76-62 Newton Road
Some terraces had a larger first house. This was sometimes for the builder himself, or perhaps
for a manager if the cottages adjoined a factory or shop premises.

Camborne Cottages Camborne Cottages
Camborne Cottages 1885 Nos 80 & 78

Dellcroft No 84 & 82
Mantonia
No 84 Dellcroft & 82 Mantonia

Elm Cottages 1886 Elm Cottages
Elm Cottages 1886
92 - 86 Newton Road - opposite the Cromwell Road junction
For more about
Newton Road see

1910 Valuations

and

Phillipson's Directory 1908

102-94 Newton Road
The next row Nos 102-94 - Dell Cottages 1886

122 120
122 formerly 116
Built for George Selwood
Elmham - 120 formerly 114
was the home of Charles Luther Bradfield until 1919

The Croft
107 built in 1919 and named Elmham
Later renamed 'The Croft'

The Bus Garage for United Counties was built on the corner of Rectory Road and Newton Road. It had its own set of traffic lights to allow buses to enter the junction. It was converted to a builders' merchants by Toseland's in the 1970s and, when they moved to Northampton Road, it then became a recycling centre. It was much used by the townspeople, transporting their recycling materials by wheelbarrow, bicycle, car or van, but there is now a regular collection service which has somewhat reduced the callers, but still a vast amount of "stuff" is taken there by many residents who prefer to take it themselves on their way to High Street or the Library. [2008]
Recycling centre Recycling Centre
The large orange skip for garden waste, various green bins for bottles, clothing, tins, the large green skip for metals and inside
is a mountain of newspapers and magazines
Recycling centre in 2007 - demolition in 2014

Rushden Echo & Argus, 9th December, 1949 - as part of the 'Old Rushden' series
This picture showing the rural Rushden of days past, almost tells the story of the growth of the east side of the town.  Look at the building in the foreground and the tall gabled house among the trees. The cottages are now shops; the orchard to the right a bus garage. And where once there were rows of carefully tended vegetables there is now a factory, a library and a block of offices.  It is the bottom of Newton Road c1898.
Newton Road c1898
The caption above from the local newspaper - but for those who don't live here, the roof in the foreground is the Vestry Hall. Tall gabled house in the trees is the Rectory built in 1871.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us