Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Manton Road

The road was developed from about 1895, with shoe factories at the top on both sides and housing on one side only.

At the bottom of the road stands the Baptist Church built in 1900, and at the top was Robinson's first factory, taken over by the Town Band Club when Robinson Brothers built a new larger factory at the corner of Roberts Street, just across Grove Road.

Knight & Lawrence Shoe Factory built in 1893
Shoe factory built in 1927 by John White
The factory now reduced in size

Manton Road 17 Manton Road
Looking towards Park Road and the Baptist Church

The first Town Band Club opened in 1898 in a former shoe factory that was
built in 1895 by Eli Robinson and it was rebuilt in 1939.
We don't have a picture of the original building - please can you help?
the fire next day
Destroyed by fire in 2006, the Band Club lost all its archive and music.
For several years they tried to secure plans to rebuild but were denied.
The site has now been redeveloped for housing, and the Band Club is now in Station Road.

new building
New housing built in 2014 on the old Band Club site


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us