Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Complied by Brian Shelton, text from the Department of National Heritage documentation
Grade II Listed Buildings In Rushden
1. St. Mary's Church

SP9566NE 21/134

HIGH STREET (East side)

Chest tomb approx. 1m. S of south aisle of Church of St. Mary
Chest tomb. Mid inscription. C17. Limestone ashlar. Double chaptered slab. Partially legible

2. Plus two chest tombs in the churchyard

3. The War Memorial

SP9566NE 21/135
HIGH STREET (West side) War memorial
approx. 30m, W of Church of St. Mary

War memorial. Early C20. Limestone ashlar. Octagonal shaft of 3 stages with plinth and 2 steps. Lower stage has leaf decoration at corners, second stage has pilasters with 3 niches and figures in the alternate panels. Upper stage has plain pilasters with scroll feet and swags and leaf decoration in the panels. Moulded cornices between each stage, inscription around shaft "to keep in mind those from this Town who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919". Lists of names in panels, of lower stage and plinth. Inscribed tablet on middle stage, "Their name liveth for evermore".

4. 120,122 & 124 Terrace of 3 Houses - High St. South

sold in 1948
SP96NE, SP9566SE 8/138/22/138
HIGH STREET SOUTH (West side) Nos. 120, 122 and 124
Terrace of 3 houses. Datestone 1826. Squared coursed limestone with slate roofs. Originally each 2-unit plans. 2 storeys. Together comprising a 9-window range of anhorned sash windows with glazing bars. Those to No.120 are under gauged stone heads with keyblocks and those to Nos.122 and 124 have rendered heads. No.120 has 6-panel door to centre with panelled reveals, moulded wood surround and cornice. No.122 has 6-panel door to centre, with reeded wood surround and lattice porch and No.124 has a 4-panel door with rendered head. Diagonal brick cornice and brick stacks at ends. C17 datestone to left of first floor window of No.124 is reset. Datestone to rear. Interiors: No.124 has panelled window reveals. Other houses, not inspected but noted as having similar reveals. No.120 was originally occupied by the builder of the terrace and has a slightly higher standard of detail. Originally named Bayes Yard after the builder.
5. Last Thatched House - No. 22 High Street South
SP9566SE 22/137
09/12/49 HIGH STREET SOUTH (West side)
No.22 (Florence Simpson Ltd)

House, now house and shop. Early C18. Squared coursed limestone with thatch roof. Originally 3-unit plan. Single storey with attic. 4-window range of leaded casements at first floor under eyebrow dormers. C19 shop front to right of centre has C20 plate glass windows to left and right. Leaded casement window under wood lintel to far left. Rebuilt brick stacks. C19 one-unit extension to left has cart entrance under wood lintel, C20 shop window and flat topped eaves dormer. Rear has lean-to extension. Interior has some ceiling beams.

6. Rushden Hall in 1935
7. Hilly Farmhouse and Outbuildings, High St. South
SP96NE 8/139
21/01/93 HIGH STREET SOUTH (West side)
Hilly Farmhouse and attached outbuilding and barn to N
Farmhouse, outbuilding and barn. Early C18. Squared coursed limestone with C20 concrete tile roof to house and pantile roof to barn. Original 2-unit plan. 2 storeys. 2-window range of casements with glazing bars under wood lintels. Ashlar gable parapets and renewed brick and stone stacks at ridge and end. C19 single-storey extension to left in similar style. C19 one-unit, 2-storey, outbuilding to right links with CIS barn which has small central plank door under wood lintel. Roundels in apex of each gable of barn, that to left has cusping. Rear of house has five leaded casements and a C20 glazed porch. Interior not inspected but noted as having ceiling beams and open fireplace.
8. Former John White’s Shoe Factory in Lime Street
Former John White shoe factory. 1938. Sir Albert Richardson.
Red brick to base of semicircular bay window and painted brick. Roof partly concealed behind parapet and partly visible sloping glazing. Framed construction with metal columns. Symmetrical front with central projection, the centre of which projects further with segmental bay window which has curved glass. Glazing, in original metal frames, is continuous to projecting portion and continues to left and right of this as ribbon windows; deep brick parapet above. Basement projects below centre in red brick, and is semicircular, with a flight of steps to right and left. Full height glazing between brick piers to left and right of centre. Projecting entrance porch to north return has walls of glass bricks, as does projecting rear entrance. Tall brick chimney of black painted brick, square in plan, rises at rear with battered sides and cornice. A rare example of a factory by this important classical architect.
9. 61 Little Street Farmhouse (left of picture) (private house)
SP96NE 8/140
LITTLE STREET (East side) No.61
Farmhouse, now house. Late CIS/early C19. Squared coursed limestone, facade now rendered, with slate roof. Originally 2-unit plan. 2 storeys; 3-window range with central blind window. Central 6-panellsd door with wooden columned porch with entablature and cornice above. Unhorned tripartite sash windows to ground floor, painted wooden heads with keyblocks, and sash windows with glazing bars to first floor, under similar heads. Raised string course between floors. Ashlar gable parapets and brick stacks at ends. C19 single-unit, 2-storey brick extension attached to right. Interior has spine beams, panelled window reveals and early C19 staircase with stick balustrade. Formerly known as Mannings Farm.
10. The Old Rectory in Little Street
SP9566NE 21/141 The Old Rectory
RECTORY ROAD (East side)
06/07/84 (Formerly listed as The Rectory)
Rectory, now house. Datestone 1870. Squared coursed limestone with ironstone and ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys. Main - front of 3-window range with large gable breaking forward to right and small gable to left. Central gabled porch with gothic outer arch and C19 part-glazed inner door with moulded stone surround. 2-and 3-light stone mullion windows with plain sashes and single-light central window with stone surround, all with Caernavon heads. 3-light stone oriel window to first floor right. Small quatrefoils in gables. Ashlar stacks at ridge. Garden front to right has canted stone bay to ground floor left and large central staircase window. Datestone in gable. Rear levation to right of garden front is similar. Interior not inspected.
11. Manor Farm in Bedford Road

SP96NE 8/131
BEDFORD ROAD (East side) Manor Farmhouse
09/12/49(Formerly listed as Manor Farm)
Farmhouse. Recut datestone ANNO/1606/E, and 1969 refers to restoration, remodelled C18. Squared coursed limestone with C20 plain tile roof. T-shape plan. 2 storeys. Main front-has gabled wing breaking forward to left of centre, with a 2-window range to left and right, of leaded casements under wood lintels. Range to right has central C20 door under wood lintel. Range to left has C20 porch, with CIS 2-panelled door, at intersection with cross wing. Return walls of cross wings have leaded casements and C20 French doors to right side. Datestone 'is alongside French doors. Gable end of cross wing is rendered and has a C19 lean-to. Brick and stone stacks at ridge and ends. Right gable has leaded casements. Rear elevation is a 5-window range with one blank window, and one sash. The other windows are leaded casements under wood lintels. Interiors study in cross wing has full-height C17 panelling with moulded cornice. Room to left has large open fireplace with bressumer and gun rack above. Ceiling beams and some CIS plank and panelled doors.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us