Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

High Street - north end

Colin Bryant Collection - Courtesy of Rushden Museum
c1894 Thomas Perkins kept the New Inn 1891-1902, and was
succeeded by his wife Abigail
Rebuilt as the Railway Inn c1895
Stonehurst was built in 1896 replacing far thatched building.

High Street c1895
An early picture in winter of the north end of High Street.
The balcony (left) was at one time Blue Windows china store. Beyond was Arthur Smith's hairdressers, and photographic studios of Samuel Powell.

Behind the tree is the Capital and Counties Bank.

Opposite is the Railway Inn and a thatched property where Bates' fish shop was prior the WWII. In the distance - the Feathers Inn and church beyond.

An early picture of the north end of High Street.

Lloyds Bank is the tallest building (left) and far right is Marriott's Farm
and centre right in this picture

Looking north from the grocery shop of 'Tailby & Putnam' grocers and their van - in the distance is the railway bridge demolished in 1973 - painted with their name - later Putnam & Sons - and beyond the bridge the Royal Variety Theatre.
Capital & Counties Bank, later Lloyds, now TSB (2015) and the cottages (right) formerly part of Mason's farm, were the Bank Manager's residence in 1903, and then Simpson & Mason solicitors' offices.
The shop between was Nattrass, ironmongers, Carter, Harper, Gray builders' merchants, Thomas' hairdressers,
and today (2015) a newsagency.

c1910 beyond the cottages on the right is an old thatched property.
Opposite is the factory of Sanders and Sanders.
c1930 - the stationmaster's house stands before the cottages and the
thatched property has been demolished. H Ingle is in the factory.
George Bull's sign on the gates beyond the cottages on the right.
cottages
A front view of the cottages with round trimmed bushes, and the old stationmaster's house far left, on a carnvial parade day in June.
c1950 - after the precinct of shops was built next to the row.
Later these cottages had their internal walls removed, and were used
by Ellis & Everard as a storage bay for cement, etc.
Queen Victoria Hotel far left.

areila view
This aerial picture is the area where High Street joins Higham Road c1930.
Higham Road to High Street across the picture, and Shirley Road. Towards the bottom right corner - the railway station stables and across the track, almost centre, is the Royal Variety Theatre, and facing it the grand Queen Victoria Hotel built in 1900. The row of cottages beyond the Royal Variety Theatre were Marriotts cottages, used as the offices for the building company, with Shirley Road leading up to North Street and top right of centre, The Police Station.
For another aerial picture c1973.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us