Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Survey of plaques 2011
Higham Road - Name & Date Plaques
and Notes
105 Higham Road
Hillside plaque
Hillside
105 Higham Road

H J Goodband was the applicant submitting plans for additions to be built in 1937

"Hillcrest"
"Hillcrest"
Fernbank Villa & neighbours
Fernbank Villa 142 and 3 other houses - dated 1903
Fernbank Villa
1903 datestone
107 Higham Road Highfield House stone
Highfield House

107 Higham Road
129 Higham Road
Datestone on 129 Higham Road
Built in 1899

129 Higham Road
Fern Dale Built 1880
With its neighbour, overlooks a busy junction with Washbrook
Road. Between the pair is an
entry to the back gardens.

In WWI the Street Shrine for
the area was where the
traffic lights are today.
Fern Dale No 14 - built in 1880
Date stone
The date stone on Unity House
The Trade Union Club
Olive House
Olive House
Olive House
Holmehurst No 48
Built 1906
Detail
Holmehurst - 48 Higham Road

A glass panel over the door
and a date stone on the gable
and two stones either side of the
windows, enhance this property.
The Rushden Echo and Argus, 1st August, 1958

Two more groups of housing property, both brick-built, have incurred the disfavour of the Rushden health authorities and are now listed as clearance areas. The eventual disappearance of Kilburn Place, below right, will leave a gap on the western side of Higham Road — but only temporarily, because the Urban Council favours redevelopment of the site. Woburn Place, below left, stretching from Rectory Road towards High Street, is one of a series of “rows” which have branched out from Rushden’s old “Backway.”

in the snow
One the right is the house that became a Co-op Butchery about 1960
On the left the garage of David Nicholson. Later the site was Calor Gas,
then became Netto, and today is Home Bargains (2015).
The road centre now called Peck Way joins into North Street.

Rushden Echo & Argus, 8th April 1955

A view taken looking up Higham Road, Rushden, towards Higham Ferrers.
This picture was taken at the request of Mrs Lilian Coleman, who address now is Aurora, Ontario, Canada. She wrote saying how much she had appreciated the pictures we printed of the southern end of High Street, Rushden, and that she would like to see some of the other end of the town.
Higham Road in 1955

about 1910
An early hand coloured postcard c1910 - similiar view to the above

photo 2006
Offices of the Boot and Shoe Trade Union at the corner of Hayway and Higham Road
built in 1957, demolished 2017

Courtesy of Mervyn Wood, 2006


Nos 1 & 3 rear view

A view taken from Marriott's Yard, shortly before Asda was built. It is the rear view of the pair of houses opposite the Asda Garage, formerly Bridge Service Station.

Courtesy of Mervyn Wood

rear of pair of houses


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us