Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Fitzwilliam Street

Fitzwilliam Street is numbered from the top of the street where it joins Wellingborough Road.

These two cottages at the foot of the hill have another house behind accessed above no 20.

22+20 18
plaque
Grape-Vine Cottage
No 22 Grape-Vine Cottage built in 1892 and No 20
No 18
In 1882 John Wood took out a mortgage to purchase land from the Duchy of Lancaster on the west side of Duck Street, and here his son William John (baptised 20th June 1869), a carpenter and joiner, built his family home - No. 22 Fitzwilliam Street, which had an orchard adjoining into Duck Street.

Old Church new flats
The old Primitive Methodist Church built in 1890
This development built in 2004
The building above has had several owners since it was built in 1890 as a place of worship. When the church joined the Park Road Methodists in 1937 the building was sold to the British Legion, later St John Ambulance took over when their building in Station Road was closed to make room for the Splash Pool.
The datestone on Fitzwilliam Court built where Building & Homemaker had their the shop and yard.
date stone

The old stone property once the premsies of George Chettle, horse slaughterer. In later years George sold pet food in one half, and his daughters Vi and Minnie sold sweets in the other.
2007 after 'Bantin the Tailor' had renovated the property.

The yard behind was where Edgar Cox began an engineering company.
He was son of Albert Cox
of Messrs Cox & Wright.

Bantin's

19+21
Frederick Skeeles lived at 21, and took over the factory behind.
The factory (right) has been used
by several business.
factory
plaque
Sweetbriar Cottages built in 1890 - Nos 19 & 21.
Name and Date Plaque

Horrell offices
Fitzwilliam Street Offices of
C W Horrell the factory being
on the corner with Moor Road

Workshop
Behind No 6 Fitzwilliam Street - the property
formerly the workshop of William Lockie.

The Rushden Echo, 21st April 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Runaway Horse - On Friday afternoon last, no little alarm was caused in Fitzwilliam-street by an incident that might well have been fraught with serious consequences. A horse, belonging to the Rushden Co-operative Society, and which was attached to a coal trolley, whilst standing at the top of Fitzwilliam-hill, took fright at something or other, and bolted down the steep declivity. A passing pedestrian made a plucky attempt to stop the animal and partially succeeded, but the heavily loaded vehicle on the steep gradient compelled him to abandon the attempt, and the horse and vehicle proceeded down the hill at a furious pace, and crashed into Mr. Jervis’s hairdresser’s shop at the bottom, smashing the window. The shafts of the dray were snapped off at this point, and the horse then bolted up Duck-street hill and along High-street to the station coal yard where the company has an office. The horse was quite uninjured and the damage to the dray was confined to the broken shafts. It is a fortunate thing that the driver was not on the dray when the horse commenced its mad career.


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us