Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Demolition 1970s

Stonehurst - the Belgian House
These buildings, between the Railway Inn and the old Sanders and Sanders factory were demolished in 1976. Two houses, the tailor's shop of J J Page, along with Stonehurst which was known as the 'Belgian House' when it was a hostel for Belgian refugees in WWI.

A bomb damaged some of the buildings in this area of the town in 1940.

A Blue Plaque was put up in 2005, by the Amenities Society.

Demolition under way demolished in the mid 1960s
J J Page outfitters and two cottages and the rear view when they were being demolished in 1976

Evening Telegraph, 28th May 1975

Only the replica remains

GOING, going . . . gone in a flash. That's the fate of the old Rushden sub-divisional police H.Q. which has now been replaced by a new building.

The building and its interior were made famous when  the hand of Lord Willis reached out and touched it with the peculiar television fame of Hunter's Walk.

He used the station and Rushden area for the ATV police series. But the props at Associated Television's studios, faithfully reproducing the interior have outlasted the original. The demolition hasn't always gone smoothly. Workers sheared through the main power supply to the new police station last week, causing the flash .

roof gone
pile of rubble
above right: The roof is gone

right: just a pile of rubble!

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us