|In 1899 the name of College Street was given to what had been known as Higgins' Lane. The school was named Alfred Street School, and so came under that road, and the factory that once stood at the foot of the road was deemed to be in Duck Street.
|The Rushden Echo, 6th December 1901.
Rushden Urban Council - Plans - Messrs. J. Cave and Sons Ltd.
For new factory off College-street and passed subject
to compliance with Byelaws 17 and 21.
A letter accompanied this plan stating the Company would be prepared to give the necessary land for widening College-street to 36 feet if the Council would construct the road with proper causeways and take over the same. The Surveyor was instructed to reply that this matter would be carefully considered by the Council if Messrs. Cave's would submit plans showing the company’s proposals with regard to the street throughout its entire length from High-street to Duck-street, and further that the Committee would be inclined to recommend the Council to favourably entertain the idea of contributing towards the expense of effecting the improvement and afterwards declaring the street a public highway.
By 1910 only Cave's new shoe factory and the Standard Rotary Machine Company were listed for the street. The factory was later taken over by Eaton's and was demolished. The site is now Wilkinson's store.