Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Church Parade area
The church area and the village Green was always the central place for village gatherings, and the parade of shops facing the church was called Church Parade. When Mr Ward built his shop at the head of High Street the area was then called Ward's Corner, and features in many photographs of town events, parades, celebrations, carnivals and processions.

Arches were erected here for the celebrations of Queen Victoria's Jubilees
in 1887 and 1897 and for the Coronation of George V.

In the c1910
c1914

The churchyard wall viewed from High Street when the large trees known as the "12 Apostles" were still standing c1910.
The top of Church Street is just visible and the premises of Orrell the chemist beyond the thatched property of Arthur Robinson.
The second picture c1914 shows Orrell's and other shops towards the Green. Road widening was done here in 1959.


Nos 3 & 5 High Street (with the blinds in the picture above right) were called Victoria House.

Nothing more is known of W Clarabut.

1898 Adverts for Clarabut & C F Tall - both of Victoria House

Rushden Echo, 22nd March 1918

Spring Millinery—The newest modes for Ladies and Children are now being shown by Mrs. Perkins, 7 Church-parade, Rushden.


1906 advert The Green and Church Parade c1910
Bob Woodman advert 1906
Postcard published by Elizabeth Hewitt c1910 shows the
Green and Church Parade, and the Wheatsheaf Inn (centre)

Ward's
c1910
Above is Ward's Corner - corner of Newton Road and High Street - the door faces the Church and
Church Parade. In the distance the tower of the
Fire Station is just visible. To the right is the
Council Building built in 1906. Below that stands the Carnegie Library built in 1905, but obscured in this picture by a shop and cottage, next to the Vestry Hall.
Orrell's
Orrell's Chemist c1910
Church Street/Parade corner
The main fabric still remains - see end of page
The Rushden Echo, 30th April, 1943

G.P.O. Obliges
Black-out Menace Removed at Rushden

A kindly but hitherto misguided G.P.O. has removed a Rushden menace.

When the pillar-box at Ward’s Corner was damaged and could not be used, the authorities wrapped it in canvas and left it – perfectly camouflaged for complete invisibility in the black-out. People stumbled into it and were bruised and battered. Complaints followed, but nothing came of them.

On a recent Friday, however, the G.P.O. and its derelict letter-box figured in “Talk of the Town.” The pillar now wears a broad white ring and stands on a d’oyley of white paint. All is well at Ward’s Corner.

The Rushden Echo and Argus, 8th October 1954
No waiting sign
Three highway and pavement features combined in one picture at the corner of High Street and Newton Road, Rushden.
A slice of pavement has been carved off to improve the road junction, soon to be controlled by traffic lights. The pillar box which stood there for many years has just been moved to a site nearby, and a “no waiting” sign is just going up.
near Robinsons
After Robinson's old shop was demolished in 1920 - before the shops (right) were built.
c1950
c1950 L & G Gardner confectioners and A Hill fruiterer. Later Mr Hill's daughter Joyce took over the confectioner's and called it 'Candy Corner',
and when he retired his son Mick took over the greengrocery.

In newton Road Wills'
(left) After Fred Knight's funeral in 1933, marching up Newton Road past Ward's - these properties were all taken into Wills' store (above) - c1962
Following Wills' closure the property has been sold and subdivided once more (March 2012)
Now called Newton Halls with Mrs B's tea shop and various small stalls fill the ground floor.

2009 - Peter Crisp's had expanded to take all of Church Parade,
and much of Church Street, before closure in 2010
and in about 1970, the building right replaced Arthur Robinson's in about 1930
A E Hill friuterer and Candy Corner traded there


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us