Park Road Baptist Choir gave Handel’s ‘Messiah’. Soloists were: Miss V.Bayes, Mrs W.F.Cook, Mr Frank Stringer, and Mr W.F.Cook.
John White and his wife and daughter were in a chauffeur‑driven Buick saloon which was in collision with a ’bus on a road just outside Stanion. Both vehicles were badly damaged and Mrs White injured her arm.
Rushden & District Boot & Shoe Union honoured Mr Charles Bates for his 25 years service as President. It was reported that the district branch had 8,000 members.
A tramp was accused of breaking and entering at Rushden Golf Club Pavilion. He was asleep when found, after consuming five bottles of beer and some chocolate biscuits. He was committed for trial at Leicester.
Gaul’s ‘Holy City’ was rendered at a Choir Festival at High Street Independent Wesleyan Church. It was reported that the first time it had been given it was a good performance but this time was even better. Good tuition had been imbibed all credit to Mr W.T.L.Flood choirmaster. The soloists were: Win Norton (soprano), Edith Wilson (contralto), Sid Hudson (tenor) and Arthur Hodge (bass), with Miss Maud Stapleton at the organ.
The death occurred of A.T.Ginns, blacksmith, at the age of 89. He had come to Rushden in 1870 from Rushton. He joined St.Mary’s choir and was a member for 55 years.
A play was performed at Rushden Palace ‘The Wreckers’ by Arnold Ridley.
Mr Leonard Perkins BSc, celebrated 25 years as a Headmaster. He had influenced 6,000 young people. He had come to Newton Road School from Leeds in 1904, and was awarded the MBE in 1926 for his work for education.
Advert: Owing to the huge demand for our 1/- bargains, we shall continue the 1/- sale for the weekend. Halls, The Popular Drapers where the ‘buses stop.
A Rushden man was summoned at Wellingborough Police Court for allowing his horses to stray on the highway. His defence was that courting couples were to blame by leaving the field gates open.
Ladies Hockey Match: Rushden 12, Oundle 2.
A new pipe organ was opened at St.Peter’s Roman Catholic Church. It had been built by J.Tanner of Raunds. It was blessed by Father Nutt at the ceremony.
The Anniversary of the Pastorate of Rev. C.J. Keeler was celebrated at the Independent Wesleyan Church. Rev D.S.W.Hughes preached to a large congregation.
A family of eight were victims of a gas leak in Oval Road. At 11am a neighbour noticed that no family members were astir and went to their door to find a strong smell of gas. Three doctors were called in and found some of the family semi‑conscious and some unconscious. All recovered.
Children at Newton Road School were sent home because the heating system failed. The teachers had a holiday too.
The Northampton & County Building Society opened a branch in High Street, Rushden.
Rushden Coffee Tavern Hotel and Public Hall Co Ltd declared a satisfactory year and announced a dividend of 7½%.
The new Rector for Rushden was Rev T.S.Stoney from Liverpool.
A lecture on Dr Albert Schweitzer was given by Madame Andre Rieder at Rushden Mission Church. The Chairman was Dr R.W.Davies.
The Founder of the Rushden Echo, Mr Charles Cross, died at his home ‘Cliftonville’, Rushden. He had been born in Derbyshire. The paper had begun in 1897. Practically all official life of Rushden and Northampton CC was represented at the funeral at Park Road Methodist Church.
The Wellingborough & District Canine Society held a record Dog Show at the Windmill Club the first time it had been held in Rushden. There were 280 entries in 46 classes.
It was noted that the first Rector of Rushden was Thomas de Northampton who was instituted in the year 1280. St.Mary’s Church had a 700 year old history.
A well-known Rushden person Mr William Scholes and Miss Winnie Giles were married at the Salvation Army in Army uniform. The Giles family and Mr Scholes were well‑known musicians.
Rushden Players Dramatic Society gave ‘Polly with a Past’. Taking part were: Don Bugby, Hylda Gates, Gwen Brightwell and May Chamberlain (Principals).
The first parade of Park Road Baptist Girls’ and Boys’ Brigades took place with their new bugle band. 80 Brigaders assembled with 4 side drums and 1 bass drum.
Notice: Rushden Echo had been acquired by Northamptonshire Printing and Publishing Co Ltd, by whom the printing and newspaper business would be conducted as hitherto from the Office at 5, Park Road, Rushden.
Rushden Choral Society wanted new members in all departments. Conductor was Mr William Wright and the Secretary, Mr L.V.Elliott.
Sanders & Sanders factory was burgled and 18/20 pairs of boots were stolen.
Rushden Cricket Club held its Annual General Meeting at the Waverley Hotel. They had a balance in hand of £1.10s.8d at the end of the year.
A record number attended the weekly dance at the Windmill Club. Music was provided by Britannia Band, and the MC was Mr Sid Martin.
The population of Rushden was reported to be13,550. Parliamentary voters: 10,425 which shows that there were only 3,000 children under the age of 18 in Rushden.
Ald C.W.Horrell was appointed a member of the Committee to consider a suggestion that a British mark of origin should be applied to all footwear made by firms in the Federation.
Rushden Co‑op started a Pension Fund for their employees at Rushden.
Rushden was included in a list of important cities throughout the country for the installation of a night banking service at the Midland Bank which had opened.
H.E.Bates’ new book ‘Catherine Foster’ was published. The New Book Society had selected it as very nearly the best of all April 1929 publications.
Rushden Swimming Bath was opened by Dr D.G.Greenfield, Chairman of RUDC. There was a large crowd in attendance. Dr Greenfield said: It has been 25 years since the question of a swimming pool was first introduced now we have a beautiful baths. The cost was approximately £5,300.
The County Council recommended a TB After Care Committee be formed for each area (i.e. Northampton, Wellingborough, Finedon, Irthlingborough, Raunds, Higham Ferrers and Rushden).
A curious discovery was made in the course of demolition at Manor Farm when a land-dividing stone, 200 years old, was brought to light. The stone was built in the wall but the inscription had not been noticed because of being covered with moss. After this had been taken off, the words read as follows:
On left side of this face Anthony Childs ‘unto this top’. On the right side: Wright Richards ‘wall down to the road’. The block measured 9½” x 7” and was believed to be of Roman origin. The farmhouse dated from 1816 (?), and the date stone also bore a carving of English rose and Prince of Wales feathers.
A farewell service was held at Park Road Baptist Church for Rev J.A.Sutherland who was leaving for Luton.
There was a good crowd at the Post Office corner in support of the candidature of Mr George Dallas, Labour. Mr Charles Smith, Vice Chairman of Rushden Labour Party, presided.
The Rushden Echo received a copy of ‘Baby Mine’ from local composer, Mr ‘Billy’ Williams, cinema operator at the Royal Theatre. It was reported to be a catchy little air with just the kind of sentimental appeal in the words that the Music Hall could popularise. Mr Williams had also composed music of a more meditative character.
John Cave & Sons extended their sports ground with a new putting green. It was opened by Mr W.E.Capon.
A Rechabites Outing took 100 children and adults by special train to Skegness. The children were given free ham and tea tickets.
The Urban Council’s attention was drawn to tradesmen setting out goods and sun‑blinds over‑hanging pavements. They were to prepare a leaflet to distribute to shop‑keepers in the town.
Rushden Intermediate won the Rushden & District School Sports Competition.
Mr Tom Swindall retired as Secretary of the Rushden Motor Ambulance Association, a position he had held for 9 years. He was presented with a silver teapot suitably inscribed. New Secretary was Mr T.E.Wigginton.
A Young Leaguers Garden Party was held at Erskine House, Wellingborough Road, by kind permission of Mr & Mrs H.F.Jacques. Miss Robinson and Miss Pryor’s pupils danced a fairy ballet. Stalls were on the lawn and proceeds were to assist the fund of Dr Stephenson’s National Children’s Home.
Rushden Constable, PC Faram, was commended for apprehending a man riding a bicycle which had been stolen. The man was sentenced to one month in prison.
Notice: Light your lamps tomorrow at 10.16pm.
The Second Annual Show of roses and sweet peas, etc, was held at West End Club. Exhibits were of exceptionally good quality.
Pupils of various Rushden schools were selected to represent Northamptonshire at a Championship Meeting of the English Schools Athletic Association at Stamford Bridge, London.
Thousands gave thanks in Rushden for King George V’s restoration to health. An inspiring Service was held in Spencer Park where RUDC and many other organisations were represented.
An ‘American’ tea was held at the White House by the YMCA Women’s Auxiliary, by kind permission of Mr & Mrs F.Knight. The amount raised was £12.
Rushden Town Football Club met to discuss ways of raising £200 before the new season began in September 1929.
Would-be bathers were turned away in scores from Rushden baths. On Saturday 1,000 attended and 600 went the following morning. Many were unable to gain admittance.
Rushden gifts were sent to the County Hospital at Northampton. They had asked the hospital what appliances they would like as Rushden Trades Hospital Committee had £200 set aside. They also gave £470 towards a new Operating Theatre.
Two men were caught in the act of burglary at W.H.Moody (Outfitters). Goods to the value of £7.16s.6d. had been taken. The Police were on the spot in 3 or 4 minutes. The men were remanded before the Magistrates.
Mr J.C.Gregory, Stationmaster at Rushden and Higham Ferrers, retired and a reception was held at the Queen Victoria hotel. He had been in service to LMS for 45 years and 15 years service to another rail company.
200 students registered for the first session at the Boot & Shoe Technical Institute at Rushden.
At the monthly meeting of the Rushden & Higham Ferrers Boot & Shoe union, it was stated that trade had fallen off since Whitsun 1929. Most Rushden firms were on half time and some even less than that.
What was believed to be the largest single consignment of mining machinery ever sent from Rushden station filled eight goods trucks. It was en route to Indo‑China.
Where & What is Rushden? Another faulty map had been printed in the Manchester Guardian where they described the condition of the boot industry in Northamptonshire without mentioning Rushden.
Wm Green & Son (Grenson) Ltd, registered their new title.
Mr F.J.Sharwood, a well-known Rushden businessman, was married in Inverness. He was presented with a solid silver rose bowl by Rushden & District Boot Manufacturers Association.
A Rushden dentist was fined for being the owner of a pig found straying on the highway. A motor cyclist ran into the pig and was thrown off his machine. The pig was killed.
A large crack appeared in the wall of the flag tower at St.Mary’s Church, at the corner of the Pemberton Chapel, and necessitated builders being called in. It was found to be not a danger to anyone but it could have damaged the 15th century stained glass windows at the north end of the chapel.
School Managers sent first‑aid kits to Moor Road, Alfred Street and South End schools.
Ted Bates, former Rushden footballer and trainer for the previous 10 years, was presented with a chiming clock by the players.
Rushden Echo joined with the Argus in a new format. Mr Cobbler began his column. There was one page of pictures and a crossword introduced in the new format newspaper.
Save the Choral Society was the appeal by the Chairman of RUDC. Additional voices were needed so that the Society could continue. There was a dearth of tenors and basses.
The Inaugural Meeting of Rushden Swimming Club was held at St.Peter’s rooms. Chairman: Dr D.G.Greenfield was appointed Chairman
Rushden Clubs Angling League met at the Athletic Club. The League Cup was won by Rushden Trades Club.
Rushden baths closed for the winter. It had been visited by 51,000 people during the season.
Birch Bros introduced a new daily service Kettering to London via Rushden. A return ticket was 7s.9d.
RUDC reserved land above Purvis Road for a school for the new estate being built.
Lady Jowitt, wife of Sir William Jowitt KC M.P, Attorney General, was in Rushden to open the Rushden Labour Party & Trades Council Bazaar at the Co‑op Hall.
Rushden Court Estate residents asked Rushden & Higham Ferrers Water Board for piped mains water. The request was turned down as too costly.
The death occurred of Mrs E.M.Knight, wife of Fred Knight JP. She was an authoress and a poet and had had work published. Her writings had been circulated in the USA. She was the daughter of the late Rev R.E.Bradfield, former Minister at Park Road Baptist Church.
Miss V.Pingstone, Rushden Ladies goal-keeper, played in a County hockey trial match at Oundle.
An excellent picture of Rushden’s famous Strainer Arch in St.Mary’s Church was published in the newspaper to announce celebration plans for the 700th anniversary of the church in 1930.
Hylda Gates LGSM gave a recital at Park Road Baptist Church. Mr Horace Wright presided.
The Annual Dinner of Rushden Town Bowls Club was held at the Queen Victoria Hotel. Speeches left no doubt as to the growing fame of the club and, according to Mr Everard of Northampton, the turf of the green was a very high standard.
RUDC Health & Sanitary Committee received a report that at a recent annual competition under NCC Farming Institute, satisfaction was expressed at the general quality of milk supplied in Rushden, possibly a higher standard than any other district in the county.
Rushden Hall stood empty. Its contents had been auctioned and treasures of the hall were now scattered far and wide. No decision had been made as to the future of the hall.
Lady Haig visited Rushden and attended a prestigious concert at the Royal Theatre.
Risdene Vagabonds Concert Party entertained 350 members of Rushden Co‑op Society at the Co‑op Hall.
Rushden CWS employees sent help to destitute people in the Rhondda Valley. Parcels of clothing and 50 pairs of boots were sent to the town of Trealour which had been flooded three times leaving 2,500 people out of work and destitute.
Hopes that RUDC would purchase Rushden Hall were dashed when the historic house failed to find a purchaser. The bidding only reached £9,500 and the property was withdrawn.
Formation of an After Care Committee in Rushden was convened in the Council Chamber. Dr D.G.Greenfield, Chairman of RUDC presided. Drs Muriset and Crane and members of RUDC and representatives of Churches and public organizations gathered and agreed that some means should be derived for the after‑care of TB patients. Conditions were not good for a person recently discharged from the Sanatorium and the question of their employment was a difficult problem. The After Care Committee would appoint visitors to see these cases, if the patients so desired. It was proposed to give provisions of extra nourishment from voluntary sources. The County Council was prepared to defray all administrative expenses at the rate of £2 per 1,000 population, but the remainder of the money had to come from voluntary sources. Officers appointed were: Chairman, Dr D.G.Greenfield; Secretary, Miss A.M.Sharwood; Treasurer, Mr W.E.Capon.