|The Rushden Echo and Argus, 8th April 1955, transcribed by Gill Hollis
42 years with nursing service
A record of service with Rushden St. John Ambulance Brigade dating back to 1913 came to an end with the resignation of the Nursing Division Superintendent, Miss W. M. Clipson.
Miss Clipson resigned for health reasons.
When the First World War broke out she joined the V.A.D. but was invalided out in 1918.
Miss Clipson was appointed secretary and Lady Ambulance Officer of the Rushden Nursing Division in 1920. In 1925 she succeeded to the command of the Division and in June, 1932 was awarded the long service medal.
In 1933 Miss Clipson was made a Serving Sister of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.
Throughout the Second World War she ran the First Aid post in Rushden and was connected with the blood donor sessions. In 1953 she was presented with the emblem of Officer Sister of the Order.
Miss Clipson has also taken an active part in many other organisations. She was the original Rushden representative on the Midland Library Association and is still on the Library Committee as well as being a school governor. She is a life-president of the Women’s Auxiliary, Y.M.C.A.