A new school was established in 1893 in North Street to take 77 pupils, with Ellan Jones as headmistress.
By 1900 there was need for more places and the Hayway Infant School was built by W. Packwood.
The school was opened in 1903 and a boys' school and a girls' school were then erected next to this building.
In 1925 the buildings were used as the new Intermediate School taking pupils from 11 years old to 14.
In 1949 the boys moved to a new school in Tennyson Road, and the girls remained here, the school being renamed North End.
The Mission Hall shown in blue 1900
The open area below Hayway (bottom left corner) where the new schools were built
Extracts from the Log Book 1918-1941 (NRO Ref Acc 2006/183)
Percentage for week ending 15th March
Total for whole school
Absent on account of Epidemics
March 20 - To enable the teachers to assist "The Food Control" committee in the preparation of cards under the Rationing Scheme the school will be closed on the 21st and 22nd inst.
April 25 - Mr Sanders, a school manager visitied the school this morning and checked the registers.
Summary for Year Ending April 30 1918
No. on Books
April 30 - 83 over 5 and 47 under 5 = 130
May 1st - transferred to mixed department 17 boys and 13 girls leaving 98 children on roll.
The whole of the Hayway complex. Infant school, girl's and boys' deapartments.
The girls' entrance is still in use.
A rainwater pipe on the infant's.
Photographs taken in October 2007 by Peter Fensome
The Buildings are now used for nursery and infant eductation, but have retained the original features. The carved stone lintels over the three doors - Entrance - Girls - Boys - all survive, but the boys department doorway is now bricked-up.
Note the fancy water receptacle taking the rainwater from the guttering into the down pipe.