Building Contractors and Funeral Directors Since 1881
QUEEN STREET RUSHDEN
Phone: Rushden 30 and 584
Above - an advert from the Rushden Echo, February 1950
This company was established in 1881, by Edwin Whittington, born at Clifton in Bedfordshire, who moved to Rushden and married here in 1880, and John Tomlin, another young carpenter from Higham Ferrers. By 1910 the families lived next door to each other at 75 & 77 Queen Street, with their yard close by. Edwin died in 1925, and John in 1949.
John's son Pte. Fred Tomlin, was killed in 1918, aged 27 years.