Thomas Ward was born at Belton in Rutland c1834, and was living there in 1861 with his brother Francis who was a baker. Later that year he married Elizabeth, and they soon moved to Higham Ferrers where they had two children Charles Godfrey and Annie Elizabeth, and Thomas traded as a grocer.
The family moved to Rushden sometime in the 1870s.
In 1881 he was trading as a grocer, ironmonger and master druggist in the High Street, Rushden. Thomas died in 1890.
In 1898 Charles Godfrey Ward built a new property on the corner of High Street and Newton Road.
Possibly during construction in 1898
c1900 (from the right) Wards, Busby & Co and C E Knight
Adverts for Hudson's Soap and Colman's Mustard
on the wall near the corner
The plaque on the Newton Road part of the property declares C G Ward built it in 1898
2/4 High Street - corner of Newton Road
Ward's Stores c1910 and the postbox on the corner
C G Ward
Wine & Spirit Merchant