Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Stanley L Hunt - Printers
1984 letterhead registered office
A letter head from 1984
The Printeries
'The Printeries' off Coffee Tavern Lane
formerly the Argus print works - 2012

Mr. Hunt was apprenticed into the printing trade at Reading. He came to Rushden about 1903, working at first for C. G. Jowitt at the “Argus” office, and then for Mr. A. T. P. Phillipson whose business he acquired in 1916, afterwards moving from Coffee Tavern Lane to premises in George Street.

He was married in 1903 to Miss Elizabeth Pearcy SYKES and in due course his two sons joined him in the business. His son Reginald was married in 1935, to Miss Campion.

Time recording clock
The building where they moved to had earlier been been part of Denton's shoe factory. We don't have a photo of that building when Hunt's were there, but only a high brick wall was visible from George Street.

We have this photograph of the time clock that recorded the employees' daily attendance. The clock moved with the company to their new premises in Station Road.

In 1974 the building was demolished and the company moved to the old British United Shoe Machinery Company's building, in Midland Road.

The company continued to grow as the family members gradually took over the running of the business.

In 2015 the business has been sold, but continues with the family still taking care of the day to day business. [sadly the company who took over the business soon sold it for building]

frontage The Midland Road premises
The old BUSM Co's premises were built in 1926

Top centre of this 1950s picture is John Cave and Sons Ltd, factory built in 1901, and later extended. The grass area below is the land of their 'Comonwealth Sports Ground'. Also in this view, bottom left of centre is the old open-air swimming pool.

Across the road from the sports ground is the factory of Wilkins & Denton (formerly Bignells) and near the bottom right corner is part of the Jaques and Clark factory.

At the bottom the railway track and the old British United Shoe Machinery factory, now occupied by Hunt's Printers.

Closure of Hunt's Printers
The former family run Rushden printing business of Stanley L Hunt has sadly ceased trading; the printing presses finally stopped running at the end of December 2015.

After several generations of the Hunt family being at the helm, the business has now closed. The yard is all locked up, and the well known company vehicles are parked up for the last time. They re-located to Midland Road, Rushden in 1974. It was a highly respected local firm that had a solid & reliable workforce. [redevelopment 2018]

the yard and vans closed

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us