|Notes by H Packwood in 1988:
A small factory at the bottom of College St was owned by 2 brothers named Perkins. This factory contained 2 Power Die cutting machines for making brass screwing wire that was used to reinforce the soles of heavy boots, this factory closed down about 1924? At the outbreak of the war in 1939 the above factory was re-opened by Horace Wills and Cyril Johnson making munitions and was called The Sound Engineering Co.
Cyril Johnson bought out Horace Wills and then moved to Hove Road, building most of it himself. Cyril Johnson was very clever but unfortunately died about 26 years ago and the factory was sold to Wicksteed’s Engineering Co. of Kettering.