Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Methodist Circuit

When the Compton Census was compiled in 1676 there were 600 conformists with just 6 non-conformists in the village of Rushden. By 1781 there were 15 Methodists attached to the Bedford Circuit and they were transferred to the Higham Ferrers Circuit in 1814 when they joined with Wellingborough Methodists. In 1817 services were being held in a barn on the Green oposite the Parish Church and ten years later the barn was converted into a chapel. The circuit register from 1814 shows the wide area covered by the preachers. A chapel was established at Higham Park by 1828 in a room in the farmhouse.

Bedford Methodist Circuit
1781-1785
 
NRO ref: ZA 8470
Members at Rushden              
Forename Surname home parish status 1781 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785
Thomas ANGRAVE Irchester married farmer farmer farmer, leader grazier farmer
Sarah ANGRAVE Irchester married wife n.g.      
James BERRIDGE Wollaston married farmer farmer farmer grazier farmer
Elizabeth BERRIDGE Wollaston married wife n.g.      
Thomas CUMBERLAND Rushden married farmer farmer farmer n.g. farmer
Sarah CUMBERLAND Rushden married wife n.g.      
Thomas FISHER Rushden married huckster labourer n.g. n.g. labourer
Mary FISHER Rushden married wife n.g. n.g. n.g. n.g
Mary WHITLOCK Irchester unmarried servant servant servant no longer listed  
Ann SIMONS Rushden married lacemaker lacemaker lacemaker n.g. n.g.
Thomas MACKNESS Rushden married labourer no longer listed      
Hannah HOOPER Rushden married poor spinster spinster n.g. no longer listed
Elizabeth PARTRIDGE Rushden unmarried lacemaker servant lacemaker no longer listed  
William UNDERWOOD Rushden married labourer no longer listed      
Sarah PETTIT Rushden married poor spinster spinster no longer listed  
Sarah BAKER Rushden not listed not listed not listed n.g. n.g. n.g.
Sarah MITCHEL Irchester not listed not listed not listed not listed not listed servant
 
 
 
Totals
15
13
14
12
11

Extracted by Kay Collins
Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Churches & Chapels index
Click here to e-mail us