Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Rushden Echo, 31st January 1908, transcribed by Kay Collins
Mr. Edward Parsons

Serious Accident at Irchester
Railway Train Stopped Through Obstruction
Passengers Fall Down the Embankment
Chairman of the Parish Council Injured

Mr. Edward Parsons, of Irchester, and Mr. T. Baker, of Wellingborough, had a very narrow escape from serious injury on Friday evening last. Mr. Parsons, who is the chairman of the Irchester parish Council and a member of the Wellingborough Board of Guardians and Rural District Council, was travelling with his son, Mr. Thomas Parsons, from London by the M.R. train due to arrive at Irchester station at 7.59 p.m., and Mr. Barker was in the same compartment.

Dense fog prevailed at the time. A little north of Irchester station the line was obstructed owing to a collision of a light engine with a goods train—as reported in this issue—and in consequence of this obstruction the train from London in which Mr. Parsons, his son, and Mr. Barker were travelling was pulled up just before reaching Irchester station. At this spot—near to the south box, on the Sharnbrook side of Irchester—there is a deep embankment.

Naturally thinking that the train had reached Irchester station, Mr. Parsons, on the train stopping, opened the door of the compartment and

In the Dense Fog

he stumbled over the wires which run by the side of the line and fell down the embankment. On hearing the cry of Mr. Parsons, Mr. Barker was alighting from the carriage with the object of rendering assistance, when the engine started forward again, the result being that Mr. Barker was thrown on to the side of the line.

Mr. Thomas Parsons attempted to go to the assistance of his father and Mr. Barker, but the train was now moving at a brisk pace, and he was compelled to remain in the carriage until the engine pulled up at the station, when he at once gave the alarm. Taking with him a lamp, and accompanied by several railway officials and others, he ran nack by the side of the rails, and there found his father and Mr. Barker, both of them suffering from shock, but neither of them, happily, having sustained any fracture of the bones.

Mr. Barker suffered no serious injury, but in the case of Mr. Parsons the shock was rather severe. He was removed to his home, The Cottage, Irchester, and has since been confined to his bed, and latest report being that he is going on as nicely as could be expected.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us