Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Wellingborough & Kettering News 17/01/1890, transcribed by Peter Brown
Sanders Wooding

Shocking Suicide at Wymington—On Thursday afternoon an inquest was held at the White Horse Inn, Wymington, before Mr. Mark Whyley, coroner, and a jury, of whom Mr. Robert Goosey was foreman, touching the death of Sanders Wooding, 63 years of age, who found dead in his house on Monday evening after apparently committed suicide by cutting his throat with a razor. The following evidence was taken:

Edward Rivett, shepherd, said he had known deceased for 15 years. He last saw him alive on Wednesday, Jan. 8, between 12 and 1 o'clock, when he came to pay his (witness’s) wife his insurance money.

On one occasion, about 14 years ago, deceased had been missing, and whilst they were looking for him he came out from under a heap of straw. Blood was on one hand, and his throat was marked. He had been to an asylum for three months; he was a widower, and lived alone. On Monday night he saw him lying on the floor in front of the fire, so witness got in at the window, and found deceased in a pool of blood. Witness turned the body over, and saw there was a razor in deceased's right hand, and he took it away and laid it on the table. So far as he could tell, deceased was quite dead. He had complained of feeling unwell lately.

P.C. Sturgess, stationed at Poddington, said he received a message on Monday evening that deceased had been found dead in his house. He went to Wymington, and the key of the house was handed to him, by which he unlocked the door, and found deceased lying in front of the fire, the hearthrug being covered with blood. He foundthe razor produced, and assisted Dr. Owen to make his examination, after which thebody wassearched. He found two purses containing £3 7s. 3d., two knives, a bunch of keys, and a ring.

Dr. Owen, of Rushden deposed to being called to see deceased about a quarter to eight on Monday evening, and found him lying in a pool of blood on the floor in front of the fire, quite dead. Witness with the assistance of the last witness turned the body over, and found a wound about six inches long, which severed the wind-pipe, the jugular vein, and the carotid artery. He should say that death must have been almost instantaneous owing to the extent of the wound. Witness had attended him recently for a bad leg, when he seemed pretty well in spirits. The injuries were such as would be inflicted by the razor produced.

The jury returned a verdict of “Suicide whilst in an unsound state of mind.”

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us