Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Wellingborough News, 8th January 1892, transcribed by Kay Collins
William Noble


On Wednesday morning last, an inquest was held at the Cock Inn, before Mr. J. T. Parker, coroner, on the body of William Noble, 79 years of age, a local celebrity in the musical world, and well known for many years throughout the district, who died under circumstances related in the following evidence:—Robert Johnson deposed that he was a farm labourer, living at Raunds, at the top of the village, and had been to feed some pigs in what is known as Bugby's Yard. That was about six in the evening of January 2. On returning and passing along the street about 20 or 30 minutes after six he heard a faint moan which ceased, but on listening again he heard it more distinctly, and at once passed over to the other side of the road and found deceased lying on his back on the edge of the road. He cried "holloa" but received no reply. He then saw who it was, and lifted him up, and deceased then said "Oh, dear, where am I." He took him home, but deceased did not know him till he was told; he never heard deceased say how he fell. It was not slippery that night.—Mrs. Sarah Ann Neal, wife of Charles Neal, currier, deposed that deceased was a journeyman shoemaker, and 79 years of age. She had not seen the deceased till the Sunday after the accident, when she went to nurse him. He was conscious at times but never said anything about his fall, nor did he complain of any violence being used to him. He had been subject to fits for years, in which he used to fall. He complained of his head and suffered a great deal.—Dr. W. Mackenzie, surgeon, deposed that he knew deceased well, and also that he suffered from fits. He was called to see him on Saturday evening, January 2nd, when he found him reclining on a sofa moaning and complaining of great pain at the back of the neck and pain all over the body. He found a deep cut on the right side of the head a little above the temple. He was dazed but able to answer questions when aroused. He had him put to bed and dressed his wounds. From certain symptoms shewn he suspected fracture of the skull, but could not see it. Deceased was immediately after that paralysed all down the left side. He died on Sunday last, and on Monday last he made a post-mortem examination, and found that he had fractured the base of the skull—the fracture extending along the right temple.—After a brief consultation, the jury returned a verdict that deceased died from a fracture of the skull caused by a fall while he was in a fit.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us