Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Jonathan Dayton

Wellingborough News, 8th July 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

Mr. J. T. Parker, divisional coroner, held an inquest at Raunds, on the 1st inst., on the body of Jonathan Dayton, aged 56 years, who died suddenly on Thursday night, the 29th ult. The first witness called was Eliza Dayton (14), daughter of the deceased, who said that on Thursday her father returned to the lodge about half-past seven from work. He had his supper as usual and walked about the garden, afterwards going to bed about nine o'clock. He was in his usual health, and made no complaint. He slept in a bedroom by himself, and deceased and his daughter were the only occupants of the house. In the morning about six o'clock the little girl was aroused by a labourer who called for the deceased, and told her that he could not make him hear, and on going to the bedroom she found her father dead. George Berwick, the labourer in question, gave confirmatory evidence, and said that he had worked with him for nine or ten days and had not heard him make any complaint. The latter part of Thursday the work was heavier than usual, as they were by the river side. Deceased only about drank two pints during the day, his usual beverage being tea. Witness had known deceased to fall on hot days, but he did not do so last Thursday. Last year he fell several times. When he did so he complained of a pain in the chest and appeared to suffer from shortness of breath. He would lie on the ground for some time, and then get up and say "I'll try again." Dr. Crew, of Higham, said he had examined the body and found no marks of violence upon it. After listening to the evidence he was of opinion that death had resulted from heart disease, probably of long standing. The jury returned a verdict of "Death from Natural Causes."

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us