Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
Extracted from "Raunds from Village to Town", by Freda J Stewart, 1964
Raunds Timeline

Some of the notable events and buildings in the town, by date.

1680 Quakers Meeting in Thorpe Street (closed 1834)
1780 Methodists - Bedfordshire Circuit
1797 Enclosure of the village
1798 Baptists converted a barn in Rotten Row (closed 1948)
1812 Methodist Church [Higham Ferrers Circuit]
1851 Friendly Society bought 4 cottages
1848 Wesleyan Methodist School
1859 National School (C of E)
1866 Gas Works - lighting for streets and houses
1866 Railway Station - but 2½ miles outside the village!
1870 Primitive Methodist Church
1880 Sewerage Scheme set up
1897 Urban District Council formed
1898 Bassford Recreation Ground - gift of Margaret Bass
1899 The Square created
1905 Raunds Strikers March to London
1908 Waterworks
1914 First Fire Engine
1917 Cemetery laid out
1918 First Labour Councillor - Mr Ralph Lawrence
1920 First Council Houses

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us