Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Accidents - Raunds 1882-1899

These news clips are extracted from The Wellingborough News and cover a range of events.

Wellingborough News, 18th February 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

A CHAPTER OF ACCIDENTS— The following cases have come under the treatment of Dr. McKenzie.—Mrs. J. Webb, Hill-end, had a rib broken, and was otherwise injured by a large dog running against her in the street, and tripping her up, and causing her to fall on the heels of some Army shoes that she was carrying to shop. Mr. W. Rooksby of the "World upside down" inn had his feet seriously burned, in attempting to extinguish the flames of some burning paraffin oil. On Wednesday the 8th inst., James Pridmore had both bones of a leg, below the knee, fractured while coming home from work by an accidental slip. The same night Thomas Nunley, Higham end, while going home in the darkness, after the lamps were extinguished, ran against a lamp post, and his lip and chin were very much damaged, the whole of the front teeth and gums being completely broken from the lower jaw. Also on the same night James Franklin, had a fall and broke his arm, a few inches below the shoulder. And on Monday last, a lad named Major, of Ringstead, a scholar of the Wesleyan Day School while out at play at the interval at dinner-time fractured his thigh bone, and had to be removed home to Ringstead.

Wellingborough News, 17th June 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—On Monday last a lad named Brayfield, while climbing a tree, accidentally fell and broke his arm.

Wellingborough News, 24th June 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

SERIOUS ACCIDENT IN THE HAY FIELD—On Saturday evening last, a man named John Russell, between 50 and 60 years of age, was employed in loading hay for Mr. William Hills in a field by the side of the Stanwick-road, when the horse in some way or another got the bit from his mouth. This caused him to throw off his ring halter and immediately to bolt off at a furious rate across the held. Russell by the sadden jerk lost his balance at the top of the load and was thrown head foremost to the ground. The horse galloped on for about 70 yards when it abruptly turned round. This movement at once upset the cart, which completely turned over and stood bottom upwards, and threw the horse on its back between the shafts, where it lay legs upwards. The horse was extricated from his position with some difficulty and fortunately escaped with but little injury. In the meantime the unfortunate man Russell was taken up, apparently more dead than alive, the heavy fall having almost knocked the breath from his body. Some stimulants were administered to him however, and upon his coming a little to himself he was taken home. An examination by Dr. McKenzie, the surgeon showed that he had sustained severe internal injuries and that two or three of his ribs had been broken.

Wellingborough News, 29th July 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENTS—On Saturday last an old lady, named Mrs. Dunmore, accidentally fell down and dislocated her shoulder bone.—A serious accident happened to a boy, named Sanders, on Monday, while tying a horse up in Mr. T. C. Jeeves' stables. He was putting the halter through the hole in the manger with his ringer to tie it, when the horse suddenly snatched the halter, which tore off the flesh from the middle finger of the left hand to the bone, necessitating amputation at the second joint. His other fingers were also injured.
Wellingborough News, 23rd September 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—A lad named Ernest Lawrence, about eight years of age, while in the gleaning field last week, was jumping over a hurdle when he caught his boot against it, fell over and broke the elbow joint of his left arm.

Wellingborough News, 21st October 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—NARROW ESCAPE—For the last few days, some masons and carpenters have been employed by Mr. John Beeby, in pulling down a house in Bass's yard which was built by the late Thomas Bass on an arch which covers the brook. One of the goals [sic] was taken down some time ago being pronounced unsafe and on Wednesday the roof was taken off. In the afternoon as other portions of the building were being taken down one of the partition walls dividing the upper chambers fell on a mason named Reuben Dix, before he could get out of the way, and partially covered him with the debris. He was immediately extricated from his position stunned and unable to walk. After a little time he recovered himself and fortunately for him, was found to be only a little injured in one leg.

Wellingborough News, 25th November 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—A trap accident occurred here on Friday afternoon last. Miss E. Finding accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Frank Brown, was driving down the road called Catlins-lane into Raunds, when the pony got a Stone into its foot and fell down, breaking the shafts of the trap and throwing out both occupants. Miss Finding falling on the pony escaped unhurt, and Mrs. Brown although falling on the road escaped any serious injury beyond a contused and sprained arm.

Wellingborough News, 16th December 1882, transcribed by Kay Collins

SERIOUS ACCIDENT—An accident which was nearly proving fatal happened to Mr. John Adams, builder, on Wednesday night last week. He was driving home from Wellingborough Market, accompanied with Mr. Thomas March, and when coming down Higham Ferrers-street, near a house formerly known as "the Red Cow," his trap came in collision with another trap coming up the street in an opposite direction. The consequence was that both occupants were pitched head foremost out of the trap. Mr. Thomas March pitching on the horse his fall was broken, and he escaped with some slight bruises to his head and face, but Mr. Adams coming in violent contact with the ground sustained serious injury. The occupant of the other cart—Mr. G. Harrison, a man in the employ of Mr. R. Eady, of Raunds—assisted, as did also another gentleman who was passing to get Mr. Adams into his trap, and Mr. March then drove back to the "Green Dragon lnn," where Mr. Adams was found to be in an unconscious state. Dr. Crew was immediately sent for and he and his assistant found Mr. Adams suffering from a severe scalp wound, the flesh being torn off from the middle of the forehead to a point behind the right ear and hanging over the right eye, and in one place the skull seemed slightly fractured. His ribs were also found to be injured but not broken. The wounds were dressed and the head bandaged, Dr. Crew remarking that the injuries were of such a serious nature, that had Mr. Adams been conveyed home in an open cart before being attended to, he must have died from loss of blood and exposure. After resting at the Inn for some time Mr. Adams regained consciousness, and by the advice of the surgeon was conveyed home in a closed carriage, where for a day or two he laid in a precarious condition, but is now happily progressing favourably.

Wellingborough News, 17th March 1883, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENTMr. Samuel Pettit, of Stanwick, was driving to Raunds station on Wednesday evening week, when his horse shied at a heap of white stone taken from a building just pulled down belonging to Mr. George Bass, in Lower High-street, and rearing up turned to the off side of the street. Not being able to make the animal proceed, Mr. Pettit got out and found the horse holding up its left foreleg which on examination was found to have been broken short in two just above the foot —it is supposed by coming into contact with the kerbstones. Mr. Pettit with some difficulty removed his horse to the Robin Hood Inn. On Thursday Mr. Arnold, veterinary surgeon, of Thrapston, attended it, and having pronounced it incurable, it was shot. The value of the horse was £20 and Mr. Pettit, we understand, is seeking compensation from those whom he considers responsible for stacking the stone in the street and causing the accident.

SAVED FROM DROWNING—On Monday last a lad named Hardwick 12 or 13 years old, a son of Thomas Hardwick, ventured on a deep pond which was frozen over in a field called "Beristers" to see if it would bear. The vicar of the parish (the Rev. Hugh Bryan) who was passing warned the lad of his danger but he had not gone far before he heard a scream, and turning round saw that the ice had broken and let the lad in. The rev. gentleman ran back and called to Mr. Joseph Partridge, who was at work on an allotment close by and ran to his assistance, as did also Mr. Twelvetree, the vicar's gardener, who seems to have heard him call. By this time the lad had gone down twice and was getting exhausted. Being deep water the vicar sent for a ladder, meanwhile encouraging the boy to cling fast to the ice. This he did, clutching it again as it gave way, but crying out that he could not hold out longer, and the vicar and Mr. Partridge were just about to get in the pond when the gardener brought the ladder, put it in the pond, and got him out just in time to save his life. This instance to prove warning to lads not to venture on the ice after every little frost.

Wellingborough News, 12th May 1883, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—On Wednesday evening last week, a serious accident happened to a lad about six years of age named Curtis, a son of John Curtis, which very nearly proved fatal. It appears he was playing with some other children and ran out from a narrow passage into the street just as Mr. Thomas Webb, farmer, was driving past in a cart. The lad was instantly knocked down, and one of the wheels passed over the boy's hip and shoulder just missing his head. Fortunately the cart was not heavily ladened, and though badly injured an examination shewed that no bones were broken, and we understand that the lad is professing favourably.

Wellingborough News, 27th October 1883, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—On Monday evening, a man named "Teddy" Britten was coming down the steps of the Forester's Arms Inn, when he slipped and broke one of his legs at the ankle. After being examined by Dr. McKenzie he was sent off to the Northampton Infirmary.

Wellingborough News, 24th May 1884, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT — On Thursday last an accident happened to a lad named Wilford Whitney, which fortunately was not so severe as anticipated. On leaving Mr. J. K. Smith's factory with some shoework, he attempted to get in a passing cart. In doing this one foot got in amongst the spokes of the wheel, and he was dragged some distance, his foot going round with the wheel. His screams attracted the attention of the people that lived in the houses close by, who ran out and rescued the lad in a fainting condition. Although the foot was much bruised and swollen, no bones were broken.

Wellingborough News, 6th December 1884, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENTMr. John Hills had a narrow escape from a serious and what might have proved a fatal accident a few days ago. He was shooting a disabled dog belonging to Mr. Wm. Askham when the gun burst, the pieces of the barrel being scattered about in all directions; the stock of the gun was also blown in pieces. Another man was standing a yard or two away at the time but both he and Mr. Hills escaped unhurt.

Wellingborough News, 20th May 1887, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT—On Sunday morning last the ornamental centre-piece in the ceiling of the Temperance Hall suddenly fell with a crash. Fortunately no one was in at the time. Had it happened in the afternoon or evening when the hall was used for the Primitive Methodists School anniversary services the consequences must have been serious.

Narrow Escape — As Mr. E. Chambers was driving down the street on Tuesday evening with a pony and trap he came in violent contact with a perambulator, in which were two children. The collision was such as to cut a wheel off the perambulator and throw the children out, but happily both escaped uninjured.

Wellingborough News, 8th July 1887, transcribed by Kay Collins

ACCIDENT WITH A TRACTION ENGINE—A rather serious accident happened here on Thursday last week. Between two and three o'clock in the afternoon, two traction engines with their cultivating apparatus, belonging to Mr. W. Nichols, were passing through the village, and when going by the corner of Mr. Asberry's furniture warehouse, opposite the National Schools, the last engine suddenly broke through the culvert that covers the brook which runs down the street. In doing this, the main gas-pipe that supplies gas to the top part of the village, was broken in two by the weight of the engine coming down upon it. An alarming escape of gas ensued which was at once set on fire by the engine fire, the hind part of which was immediately enveloped in a large volume of flame. The news of the accident was at once conveyed to the Gas Works and the gas was turned off from the village. In consequence of this, the gas engines at the several boot and shoe factories were stopped, and work was thereby suspended for between two and three hours, till means were taken to block the main just above the breakage. In the meantime strenuous efforts were being made to get the engine out of the culvert. After about six hours of hard labour by means of jacks and large blocks of timber, the engine was hoisted sufficiently to make a final effort to extricate it. An extra pressure of steam was got up, and the wire rope from the other engine was attached to it, but before it could receive the assistance of this engine, it was safely extricated, amid much cheering and excitement. During the operations the street in the vicinity of the accident was crowded with people. Fortunately no one was hurt, and the engine was apparently not much the worse. The gas main was restored on Saturday, and gas supplied to the upper part of the village which had been cut off for two days.

Wellingborough & Kettering News 14/03/1890, transcribed by Peter Brown

DRAY ACCIDENTS—A serious accident happened to Mr. Thos. Cox, the Midland Railway Company's drayman, on Monday. The dray was standing in the goods shed at the station with the horse in the shafts by the side of the platform. Cox had one foot on the dray and one on the platform, when the horse moved on, causing Cox to fall backwards on to the ground, by which he sustained severe injuries to his head and body. Doctor Mackenzie attended him, and he is progressing favourably.—On Saturday afternoon last, as Midland dray was going up Brook-street, Harry Loweth, a lad about 12 years of age, a son of John Loweth, swung on the back of the dray, when his left foot got caught between the wheel and the spring, and was drawn in by the turn of the wheel. An alarm was made, and the dray was immediately stopped, and the horse having been taken out, the dray was gently backed in order to get the lad's foot out. Even then the foot was held as if in a vice, and a bar of iron had to be got to wrench it out before it could be extricated. The sole of the boy’s shoe was ripped from the upper, but although the foot was badly pinched it was fortunately not smashed, nor were any bones broken. The lad was immediately put under the care of Dr. Mackenzie, and is going on well.

Wellingborough & Kettering News 21/03/1890, transcribed by Peter Brown

FRIGHTFUL ACCIDENT NEAR NORTHAMPTON — Last Saturday afternoon a frightful accident happened to a man named Owen Cobley, in the employ of Mr. John Adams, a builder, of Raunds. It appears that Cobley was standing on the front of a waggon laden with stone, and was going up Billing-hill, when, in attempting to get down, he got his feet entangled in the reins and fell under the wheel, by which he was dragged along for some distance, his shoulder preventing the wheel turning on its axle. Alfred Webster, roadman, was close at hand and dragged Cobley from under the wheel while the horses were stopped. Cobley presented a most deplorable sight, the front of his face being smashed in, it is thought through one of the hind feet of the hindmost, horse stepping on him. Mr. Charles Holton, of Great Billing, who was also near at hand, secured the trap of Mr. James Palethorpe, of the Elwes Arms Inn, Great Billing, in which the unfortunate man was driven to the Northampton Infirmary, where it was found that besides the frightful injuries to his face he had sustained a fractured arm and a fractured collar-bone. The poor fellow is progressing as favourably as can be expected.

Wellingborough & Kettering News 04/04/1890, transcribed by Peter Brown

ACCIDENT TO DR. MACKENZIE—We regret to say that Dr. Mackenzie, of Raunds, met with an accident on Tuesday morning last, in which he fortunately, though narrowly escaped fatal consequences. He started from home about 10 o'clock in a trap, accompanied by a driver named John Russell, a middle-aged man, to go to Thrapston. They drove up Marshalls-lane out of the village all right till they got on the high road opposite Mr. Litchfield's stonepits, where one side of the road slopes off to a deep hollow with a hedge at the bottom to divide the stonepit field from the road. At this point the horse took fright at some pigs on the road, and abruptly turned to the side of the road on to the incline. The trap overbalanced, and horse and trap turned completely over, the horse, which was a powerful one, lying at the bottom of the dyke on its back, and Dr. Mackenzie and John Russell underneath the trap, which had turned over them. A woman named Mrs. Lovell, who happened to be on the road, called for help, and Owen Lovell (her husband), C. Rooksby and some others were soon on the spot to render assistance. Fortunately the trap in turning over caught the hedge at the bottom, which prevented its weight from coming on Dr. Mackenzie and Russell as they lay in the hollow beneath, and broke also the force of the fall. Both the doctor and driver were soon extricated from their perilous position, the horse remaining quiet. A piece was cut out of Dr. Mackenzie's hat brinks, his forehead was badly contused, and he also sustained some slight injury to one foot and his legs. Russell was also bruised and much shaken, but beyond this both escaped any very serious injuries. The horse was not much hurt, but one shaft and splashboard were broken on the trap, besides being otherwise damaged. In a short time another trap was procured, and Dr. Mackenzie was sufficiently recovered to proceed on his journey. On Wednesday the doctor, though feeling more the effects of the fall, was going on well. Russell too was recovering.

Wellingborough & Kettering News 25/07/1890, transcribed by Peter Brown

ACCIDENT—On Saturday morning last an accident with a remarkable escape occurred near Raunds station on the Midland Railway. Mr. Matthew Pettitt is the contractor for carting the stone required for the roads from Raunds station. Between eight and nine o'clock in the morning, his son, William Pettitt, was in charge of a horse and cart load of stones, and had just left the Station-yard and crossed the railway bridge over the line, when the horse from some cause or other swerved round and backed the cart on to the rails at the top of the embankment, which inclines down into Mr. Brown's field. The rails at once broke, and the cart being filled with stone, getting on the incline, over-powered the horse, so that horse and cart turned a complete somersaultand fell down the embankment into Mr. Brown's field. Strange to say the horse escaped almost unhurt, and neither cart nor harness was broken. Some of the railway officials who were on the spot rendered every assistance. Young Pettitt remained on the road, looking at the catastrophe, but was powerless to prevent it.

Wellingborough News, 4th March 1892, transcribed by Kay Collins

RAUNDS - ACCIDENT — Thomas Clarke, an elderly man, a shoemaker, who worked in an upper room, reached on the outside by a ladder, on coming out on Tuesday evening, fell from this ladder, and severely injured himself about the head and body. He lies in a precarious condition.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us