Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Easton Maudit

Brief History of the Village from Kelly's Directory 1910
EASTON MAUDIT is a small but pleasant village and parish intending to the borders of Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire 2¾ miles south-east from the Castle Ashby and Earls Barton station on the Northampton and Peterborough branch of the London and North Western railway, 7 south from Wellingborough and 10 east from Northampton, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Higham Ferrers, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wellingborough, rural deanery of Higham Ferrers (first portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone in the Pointed style, consisting of chancel with north chantry, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with angle turrets and a lofty octagonal spire containing a clock and 5 bells: on the south side of the chancel are three sedilia and there is a piscina at the east end of the south aisle: the pulpit, a modern work, is of oak elaborately carved, and the sacrarium is inclosed by a beautiful alabaster screen with iron gates: the encaustic tile paving was designed by the late Rt. Rev. Lord Alwyne Compton D.D. Bishop of Ely: the chantry contains a monument to Sir Christopher Yelverton kt. a justice of the King's Bench in the reign of James I. d. Nov. 1612. and another, with recumbent effigies, to Sir Henry Yelverton kt. Attorney General to James I. and a Puisne Justice of the Common Pleas, d. 24th Jan. 1629, and to Margaret (Beal), his wife; there is a third monument to Sir Christopher Yelverton, 1st baronet, d. 4th Dec. 1654; this family were afterwards Viscounts de Longueville and Earls of Sussex, but these honours became extinct in 1799 on the death of the Eight Hon. Henry Yelverton, 3rd Earl of Sussex: Thomas Morton D.D. successively Bishop of Chester and Lichfield, and in 1632 translated to Durham, from which he was expelled by the Puritans during the Civil war, acted for some time as tutor in the Yelverton family, and dying here 22nd Sept. 1659, was buried in the church: Thomas Piercy, or Percy, Bishop of Dromore, in Ireland, 1782-1811, and well known as the author of "The Hermit of Warkworth" and "Reliques of Ancient English Poetry," was vicar here 1753-78: the church was restored in 1861, chiefly at the cost of Charles, 3rd Marquis of Northampton: in the east wall is a stained window, erected in 1906, as a memorial to the Rev. Henry Smith, a former vicar: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £130, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Northampton, and held since 1905 by the Rev. Frederick Ball M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Marquis of Northampton is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is various, chiefly flavin: subsoil, clay. The crops are the ordinary cereals. The area is 1,760 acres; rateable value, £1,331 ; the population in 1891 was 142 and in 1901 was 121.

Sexton, Edwin Jones.

Letters arrive from Northampton at 8 a.m. Wall Letter Box, cleared at 4.35 p.m. on week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bozeat, one mile distant.

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1870, for 40 children; average attendance, 18; Mrs. Jane Jackson, mistress

Carriers to Northampton—Arthur Summerlin & Joshua Partridge, from Bozeat, pass through every tues. & sat.

Ball Rev. Frederick M.A. Vicarage
Cole The Misses
Allibone Samuel, farmer
Hickman Frederick, shopkeeper 
Hunt William Bryan, farmer
Labutt Thomas, haulier 
Roberts John (Mrs.), farmer

Robinson Frederick James, farmer & grazier

Robinson William Geo. beer retailer
Sturgess John, farmer & grazier

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us