Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page


Brief History of the Village from Kelly's Directory 1910

BOZEAT, mentioned in Domesday as "Bosiete" is a parish, on the London road from Wellingborough and on the borders of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire 5 miles north from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway, 3¾ south-east from Castle Ashby station on the Northampton and Peterborough section of the London and North Western railway, 11 east from Northampton and 6 south from Wellingborough, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Higham Ferrers, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wellingborough, rural deanery of Higham Ferrers (first portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower of Norman date, with an octagonal broach spire, and containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel is divided from the nave by a Late Decorated oak screen, formerly painted with a representation of the "Adoration of the Magi," one panel of which is still preserved at the vicarage: on the eastern wall is a painting of a monk: the rood loft stairs remain on the north side of the chancel arch: the side windows of the chancel are Perpendicular: the stained east window, a Decorated work, is a memorial to the only son of Thomas Revis esq.: on the south side of the chancel is a double piscina, and at the east end of the aisles are brackets, canopies and piscinae: the south porch is Perpendicular, but the doorway is Early English: the chancel was restored chiefly at the cost of the Rev. F. J. Pizey, a former vicar, in 1873-5, when a new organ was placed at a cost of about ,£200 : in 1883 the tower and spire were rebuilt, the oldest bell recast, the whole peal re-hung, and the clock repaired, at a cost of £1,000: during the removal of a quantity of rubbish on the south side of the tower in 1883, the remains of a body were discovered about 12 inches underground, with the head facing eastwards; the spot is now marked by a red brick cross: the roof was restored in 1898 at a cost of £500: the communion plate dates from 1696: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1729 only; the earlier registers, together with those of Strixton, were destroyed by fire on the 9th September in that year. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Strixton annexed, joint net yearly value £175, including 120 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Earl Spencer K.G. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Mordaunt Laird Warren. The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1877, will seat 350 persons. The Independent Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1892, has about 100 sittings; and there is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1844, with 50 sittings. The church lands consist of 13 acres, producing £15 yearly; the rent of one acre is applied to the maintenance of the town well and the remainder applied to the repairs of the church and the payment of the parish clerk. A Working Men's Club was formed in 1894, and affiliated in March, 1895, to the Working Men's Club and Institute Union; it has a club house, erected in 1897 at a cost of about £1,000, and about 95 members. The Royal Exchange Assurance Company are lords of the manor, principal landowners and lay impropriators. The manufacture of shoes is carried on here to a considerable extent, and gives employment to a large number of hands. At Shirewood, about 2 miles south-east, is a stone which marks the boundary of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Northants. The soil is a stiff loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are cereals. The area is 2,605 acres; rateable value, £3,810; and the population in 1901 was 1,478.


Sexton, Benjamin Pratt.

Post, M. 0. & T. Office.—John Warren Partridge, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart from Wellingborough about 6.30 a.m. & 12.25 p.m.; Sundays, 6.30 a.m.: dispatched 10.5 a.m. & 5.20 p.m.; sundays, 11.20 a.m.

Wall Letter Box, cleared 10 a.m. & 5.15 p.m. -week days; 11.25 a.m. Sundays.

County Police, William Allen Day, constable in charge

Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), erected in 1873, at a cost of £2,150, inclusive of site (£300), & enlarged in 1892 at a cost of about £600, for 330 children; average attendance, mixed 160, infants 60; there is a master's house; Arthur Henry Lack, master; Mrs. A. Bennell, infants' mistress

Carriers—Joshua Partridge, to Wellingborough, mon. wed. & fri.; Northampton, tues. & sat.; Arthur Summerlin, to Wellingborough, fri.; to Northampton, tues. wed. & sat.; William Line, to Wellingborough, wed. & sat.; James Partridge, to Wellingborough, wed. & sat.

Private Residents
Fawdry John, Bozeat grange
Selby John Samuel Ernest
Warren Rev. Mordaunt Laird (vicar)
Abbott Henry John, cattle dealer
Allebone Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Barker Thomas, grocer
Botterill William, boot & shoe manfr
Bounds Benjamin, Red Lion P.H
Cave William Herbert, carpenter
Corby Elizh. (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Corby Harry, beer retailer
Craxton George Ernest, shopkeeper
Drage John & Son, boot & shoe mfrs
Drage Charles, mason
Drage Charles Amos, beer retailer
Drage Christopher, hair dresser
Drage James, farmer
Drage John, baker
Drage John E., rate collector & assistant overseer
Drage John Henry, farmer. Rock villa 
Elliott Robert, Chequers P.H 
Everest George, wheelwright 
Felce William, farmer 
Goodman William, boot closer 
Harrison Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper 
Hayes William Joseph, draper 
Hewlett William, shopkeeper 
James William Arthur, shopkeeper 
Knight Charles, farmer 
Line William, carrier 
Little John, miller (wind & steam) 
Partridge James, carrier 
Partridge Joshua, carrier 
Partridge Mrs., boot closer 
Rice Georgina & Martha (Misses), fancy repository 
Robinson Thomas, grocer
Selby John Samuel Ernest L.S.C.P. Lond., M.E.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon
Sellick George Harry, grocer 
Shrive Ellen (Miss), farmer 
Skevington John, carpenter 
Skevington Thomas, butcher 
Smart Arthur, farmer 
Smith Charles, baker 
Smith Frank, boot dealer 
Spakes Harry, beer retailer 
Squires Benjamin Thomas, baker 
Summerlin Arthur, carrier 
Walker Sophia (Mrs.), shopkeeper 
Walker Thomas, painter & glazier 
Wallis Alfred, blacksmith 
Wallis Owen, farmer 
Wallis William, grocer 
Warren George, butcher 
Working Men's Social Club (Samuel Bayes, manager; Charles Bell Drage, sec)

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us