Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page
From the collection of the Wymington Millennium Book Committee.
Wymington Farms


Manor Farm (from an unidentified undated newsclip)
sketch
Sketch by Bernard West
Manor Farm, Wymington, formerly one of the two Manors of Wymington was rebuilt in 1612 on the site of an earlier Manor House built in about 1380 by John Curteys, sometime Mayor of the Wool Staple of Calais. He also built the Church of St Lawrence in the village. The Manor House at the time of the rebuilding was in the hands of William Bletsoe whose family was from Irchester. In 1767 it came into the possession of the Goosey family of Kettering, who also owned considerable property in Podington and Hinwick.

This sketch of the house shows it was of three storeys, built of stone with tiled roof, and dormer windows on the west front, has unfortunately lost some of its Jacobean features on the south front, no mullioned windows survive. Inside is a fine delicate and winding staircase. Manor Farm is now owned by the Earl of Sefton, and Mr Frank Abbott is the tenant.


Map showing the farms with Air Crash site (bottom right)

Poplars Farm
Brook Farm
aerial view
Aerial view of the Poplars Farm area of the village


Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the villages index
Click here to e-mail us